strange transmission experience

This is a discussion on strange transmission experience within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2012 WRX, standard 5 speed transmission, no modifications. I was taking off spiritedly from a stop light (not launching or ...

strange transmission experience

2012 WRX, standard 5 speed transmission, no modifications.

I was taking off spiritedly from a stop light (not launching or anything) a few minutes ago. At first everything was normal. I shifted into second and was slipping the clutch a bit (not really intentional, more related to the lack of consistent clutch feel in the car), then shifted into third and slipped the clutch a bit again (for same reason) and then needed to clutch in as I was needing to prepare to slow down as I was coming up to a stop light. As I was slowing down the light turned green so I was going to down shift into second to continue on…and I could NOT get the car in gear. The engine was running but just wouldn't go into gear!

I stopped in a turn lane and sat there, with the engine running and tried to get it into any gear but it wouldn't budge…I was pushing as hard as I could but no go. I kept pushing the clutch pedal in and out (the clutch pedal felt completely normal - no change) but it made no difference.

So I shut the car off, pushed the clutch pedal in and I could put it directly into the gate with no resistance. I then, with the clutch pedal pushed in, tried to restart the car and it grabbed and lurched forward like trying to start a car in gear with the clutch pedal out (like old cars…I don't think you can do that on newer cars) and did not start. I turned the car off again, and then tried to restart again and this time it started normally and shifts normally again (or at least I think so - I am hyper sensitive to it at this point).

Any idea what could have happened? I'm wondering more about what mechanically as going on…how could I not be able to get it into gear, with the engine still idling? Then turn the car off and try to turn it on and have it lurch despite the clutch pedal being pushed in (it was obviously in some gear)…and if it was in some gear why was the car allowing me to attempt to turn the engine over? So strange...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's a switch in the pedal assembly that allows for starting only when the clutch pedal is pressed down. It has virtually nothing to do with the actual condition of the clutch, just the position of the pedal. Something is not quite right with your clutch, maybe as simple as a air bubble. Check the fluid, it's a hydraulic activated clutch. If it's low you'll have to top it off and bleed the air out...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?