Reasonable price for clutch replacement
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Reasonable price for clutch replacement within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My clutch just went in my 2002 WRX and I have to get it replaced. An EXEDY OEM clutch replacement ...

Reasonable price for clutch replacement

My clutch just went in my 2002 WRX and I have to get it replaced. An EXEDY OEM clutch replacement package costs about $200. I'm trying to gauge a reasonable cost for labor, since I obviously can't drop the tranny and do it myself. I don't want to overpay, since I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment. What do you guys think??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'd wager $250-$350 depending on the shop if you have all the necessary hardware and your flywheel is in good shape. If the flywheel needs replacement (resurfacing flywheels on these cars isn't recommended), an OEM piece is in the $200-250 range. Make sure the throwout bearing is new and manufactured by the same company as the clutch, or at least provided BY THEM. Fitment of this piece is the most crucial, and it most definitely should be replaced. It's a maximum $40 part (probably more like $25) and is the difference between needing a new assembly in a few months and years of clutch life. stock (exedy) : $475-$525 / or - slight performance upgrade (act) : $525 - $575 for parts and labor on either setup.... total out the door.

FWIW an ACT StreetLight flywheel is nearly the same cost as stock, and is lighter, better quality of manufacturing, and easier to get. Same with clutch. Check out ACT (Advanced Clutch Technologies) if you don't mind spending maybe $50 extra for a slightly better replacement.

I know you said 'strapped for cash', but since this is something you don't want to do twice, I was advised to use ACT stuff, and 50k miles so far without a sound from it. I believe it is 23lbs more spring force and the flywheel is 7lbs or so lighter than stock. This increases rev speed and gives a more positive clutch engagement, meaning you can get power from the engine to the wheels more efficiently, ie; save a little gas/get going a little faster, your choice.... in your case, i'd use the lightened and strengthened assembly to save gas, and it will be marginal if noticeable at all.. the throttle will feel lighter with this setup.

ACT and Exedy have equally excellent reputations. You can't go wrong either way. Just avoid anything that isn't a single plate clutch, or if you need a flywheel, don't get lighter than 14lbs or you will get a check engine light that will never go away without a cheat to the ECU... way more than you want to deal with.

I know some of this is extraneous, but I want to make sure you know your way around this before you buy, there are so many race clutches, the stock ones are actually reasonably priced. I hope it works out. Welcome to the club, you ought to check out the bugeye mafia at some point. we all own bugeyes... 02-03 wrx and sti only...lol

i have been where you are. the clutch and flywheel, pilot/throwout bearing are the beginning of the fun. They are the only real weakness though... used clutches typically are rotten. That's true on any brand or model of car.

Wow man I really can't thank you enough that really helps me out a lot. I appreciate that tremendously! I'm definitely going to look at the bugeye mafia, too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.