Blown 2002 wrx Tranny

This is a discussion on Blown 2002 wrx Tranny within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys so here is the thing. After purchasing my car used last year within a few weeks i had ...

Blown 2002 wrx Tranny

Hey guys so here is the thing. After purchasing my car used last year within a few weeks i had a check engine light come on that alternated until it blew. IDK if anyone knows about this its just something i noticed and am wondering if im just a dumbass for not fixing that.
    So anyways i was driving my car on the way to work and suddenly all my gears are blown. I had been noticing a lot of slip during the drive that day and suddenly going up a hill it just went. Full fluid, etc. The shop that i took my car to had no explanation of why the transmission was blown so i was kinda sol.
    So, i was just wondering what the best options would be moving forward to get my car operational for the long term. My budget is about 2k-2500 used as i can get a brand new tranny for 4k from the shop and theyll fix some body damage i have. Any ideas are welcome

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Blown 2002 wrx Tranny

Sorry I don't know what "blown" means or how it related to slipping. If my transmission fails I'll look for a used replacement. Is you car manual or auto? If manual slipping sounds like a clutch.

A mechanic saying "I don't know why this blew {sic}" is uninspiring, frankly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Haha you're telling me... And yeah i was thinking i might have had some smaller issues before i blew the transmission that led to it but the end result is the same. And yeah i was pretty livid when all i got was an idk. Regardless my transmission is trash and im just looking for the best options as far as replacement. Whether to go used or no, or to do a 5 speed swap.
    Auto btw

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you have an automatic, then you don't have a clutch. I personally wouldn't trust a used automatic, and a 5mt swap will require a lot more parts than just the transmission.