Differential Compatibility Q's for 02 WRX

This is a discussion on Differential Compatibility Q's for 02 WRX within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, Ive got an 02 WRX 5MT sedan. I need a new rear diff. Can anyone layout in a yes ...

Question Differential Compatibility Q's for 02 WRX

Hi, Ive got an 02 WRX 5MT sedan. I need a new rear diff. Can anyone layout in a yes or no fashion if any other Subaru models, and years will fit in the WRX? For example; will a forester diff fit as a direct swap? if so, what year? Maybe a legacy? I know that its a shot in the dark, but It would be much appreciated. I have tried the Search button, but I keep finding info about transmission swaps, and not nearly enough about diffs. Thanks ahead fellas.
    one last thing, the car is bone stock.. no changes to the OE.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at all the attachments in these threads; you need to be 100% certain of the ratio of the diff you have plus the diff you want to instal:

Subaru Diff Clarification - Drivetrain - HybridZ
    Difference betwen R160, R180, R200 rear diffs - NASIOC
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I still can't fully understand. It seems like there are multiple conversations happening in those threads. I believe that I have a 3.545 r160 diff in my stock 02 wrx.. Please correct me if I am wrong. I would jut like to find a bolt on donor. Does an Impreza RS have the same diff? From what I understand, a ratio can be the same, but the actual size or bolt/spline patterns can vary from other cars. This will cause me to have to buy new axles and possibly a a driveline to match if it isn't the same-just to make it work..

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I've seen charts that compare all the data you would need, but I'm really having trouble finding them. I've been down a similar road and it's really not worth it from a common sense, effort, or financial point of view.

If you want a direct replacement, go to the interwebz, search your year and model, buy from a parts yard. That's the cheapest and easiest way. Or go to local dealers/shops and ask around, usually those guys have some better connections and could get you something for a good price.