02 WRX transmission grind/feels like clutch not fully engaging

This is a discussion on 02 WRX transmission grind/feels like clutch not fully engaging within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Newbie here. I've been searching around and I can't find a thread with the exact same problem as mine so ...

Question 02 WRX transmission grind/feels like clutch not fully engaging

Newbie here. I've been searching around and I can't find a thread with the exact same problem as mine so hopefully this is the correct place to post it. So I just purchased a 2002 WRX with 100k miles on it. It is stock apart from rims. It also had a replacement clutch installed right before I got it.

I've been driving it for about a week now and the problem I'm having is that when I am starting off in first gear, it feels like the clutch almost isn't engaging all the way, it revs up quickly, and makes a grinding/scraping noise (almost sounds like a zipper) but it doesn't accelerate much at all. The problem continues throughout the gears and the only way I've found to fix it is to drop back down into 3rd or 2nd and then it usually is fine until I come to a stop again. If I start in first VERY slowly and then shift into second equally as slow the noise doesn't seem to happen at all. A friend of mine who works for a shop said it sounds like the clutch was installed wrong and that's what I am hoping it is.

Any and all advice or help is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Certainly sounds like the clutch is slipping. With a new clutch that would mean it was installed wrong. Or maybe the clutch itself is ok (wouldn't be for long) but the flywheel has been resurfaced and has not enough meat left.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Does sound like it's a clutch install problem...you've go the definition of slippage occurring. Ingo is right...make sure the Flywheel was replaced at the same time (WRX/STI flywheels aren't technically supposed to be resurfaced, though people do it).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah, obviously definitely a clutch problem. Mine just went as well, on a 300 mile trip to Maine. It was slipping in every gear BAD and accelerating was a chore! It quit on me like 40 miles from my Dad's house. WORD OF ADVICE: DO NOT ignore it!! Bring it to a shop that specializes in transmission problems and have them take a look at it NOW! This is kind of an old post, so I hope you got it checked out!

Hey guys, I came upon this thread to fix my bugeye's clutch problem, could any of you direct me to a D.I.Y. thread for installing this?