WRX dealer installed short shift?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on WRX dealer installed short shift? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, brand new to the forum and two weeks of experience with Subarus. I just purchased a new '13 WRX ...

WRX dealer installed short shift?

Hello, brand new to the forum and two weeks of experience with Subarus. I just purchased a new '13 WRX (Prestige package). The window sticker said extras included carbon fiber trunk trim (which was installed), short throw shifter, and full tank of gas. When I picked up the car, the tank was empty, so I had to drive the salesman to the nearest gas station to fill my tank with the dealership expense card. There was a cardboard box in the trunk that said "Short Thrw Sft L 5MT C1010AG001". The box appeared to be sealed in the original packing tape, but I was assured that this was the old shifter in the box. Eventually I opened the box and found, well, what appears to be a brand new short shifter assembly. I called the dealership and never received a call back. Today I called again and spoke with the sales manager, who told me that this was the old shifter and whoever had prepped the car had forgotten to throw it away.

As this is my first Subaru, I really don't know what their shifters feel like to make any sort of comparison. Here's a few pics of what was in the box:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	122178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	122186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	122194

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Looking at the picture for the short throw shifter on Subaru's site, this looks different. I would guess that is the original.
    http://www.subaru.com/content/images...0AG001_WRX.jpg
    2014 WRX Limited, 2013 BRZ, 2013 RAV4, 2003 MR2 Spyder, 2003 Highlander

I Support ClubWRX
    I can tell you that is 100% the old shifter. Clayton, our resident salesman here in NJ, told me when I picked up my 2014 in september that Subaru now gives you all the OEM parts when you purchase a car. I ordered mine, but I got a few extras (STS, auto-dim RV mirror, and arm rest extender to name a few). All those I was given the OEM parts to. So don't fret, your STS should be installed. Unless that dealer calls you back and says they made a monumentally boneheaded mistake, you're golden.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by mmkibler View Post
    Looking at the picture for the short throw shifter on Subaru's site, this looks different. I would guess that is the original.
    http://www.subaru.com/content/images...0AG001_WRX.jpg
    That's a 6 speed shifter

I thought the posted pic was a six speed shifter, they must use stock photos. I understand that they provide you with all of the original OEM parts when you buy extras, but the box that this was in seemed to be unopened and straight from the factory. I couldn't seem to find any part numbers on the parts other than what I posted pics of.

I think the sts linkage is brass colored

Unfortunately, you can't just simply look at the shifter height to verify that you got the STS. The Subaru STS reduces the shifter throw, but doesn't reduce the shifter height. Pretty sure you got the STS installed. The funny thing with the Subaru WRX 5-speed STS is that the shift lever is the only part that's different from the rest of the linkages.

Curious, which dealership (assuming you picked it up in the Capital region) did you wind up picking up the car from? I find it strange that they didn't have everything prepped for you...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.