Transmission and rear end swap

This is a discussion on Transmission and rear end swap within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I have a 02 wrx and broke the stock 5speed so there's a local jdm shop that I ...

Transmission and rear end swap

Hey all, I have a 02 wrx and broke the stock 5speed so there's a local jdm shop that I got a tranny and rear end from. I got told the rear matches the tranny but the test drive doesn't seem so. It was supposed to be swapped to a 4.44 final drive and the tranny number is saying its a 4.44....so my question is other than pulling the rear diff cover can it be identified? There is a stamped number on the bottom, kn31. Any help would be really great!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, I've lost you. If your car has a 5spd, then the diff is a 4.11 ratio. Are you saying you're swapping both a final gearbox output ratio and a diff ratio to 4.44?

The 4.44 ratios were used in atmospherically aspirated automatic transmission cars with the 2,5l motor and in some manual STi cars; however in the latter case the diff would be a R180. Do you have an R180 or R160?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you are having a problem take it up with the shop. They did the work, they have a responsibility to be sure the car is functioning correctly before releasing the car to you. What does their warranty information say?

Yea, I'm changing both to a 4.44. Its a jdm forester xt tranny and its a r160. The shop is just an import shop. They don't do work and I don't let anybody work on my car. I do all the work myself

Ohh so you only bought through them...they didn't do any work.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ohh so you only bought through them...they didn't do any work.
    Yea, just bought from them

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you have a US R160 side by side? The housing on the inside should be trimmed by Subaru themselves on the import if the import had the 40 ring and 9 pinion (4.44). Even this isn't reliable though, and I don't know of an external way to tell. Then again, if you can see a 40 ring and 9 pinion that answers your question, although by then you've opened the thing. Doh! I'm thinking in circles, sorry.

EDIT: Wait. You said Forester. Are you sure you have a mechanical LSD? I'm getting more confused now. When you spin one axle forward, the other axle should also go forward, right?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Do you have a US R160 side by side? The housing on the inside should be trimmed by Subaru themselves on the import if the import had the 40 ring and 9 pinion (4.44). Even this isn't reliable though, and I don't know of an external way to tell. Then again, if you can see a 40 ring and 9 pinion that answers your question, although by then you've opened the thing. Doh! I'm thinking in circles, sorry.

EDIT: Wait. You said Forester. Are you sure you have a mechanical LSD? I'm getting more confused now. When you spin one axle forward, the other axle should also go forward, right?
    I have the stock rear diff, but if I had a 180 my axles wouldn't fit..but they do fit. If I were to spin a front wheel the other front would go back

I Support ClubWRX
    That's because the front diff is open, not LSD.