Wheel shudder when turning- 200 WRX STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wheel shudder when turning- 200 WRX STi within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having an issue curently on my 05 STi and I am searching for the solution. I have slow ...

Wheel shudder when turning- 200 WRX STi

I am having an issue curently on my 05 STi and I am searching for the solution. I have slow speed wheel shudder when turning the wheel left or right that transmits thru the steering wheel. I don't hear any associated whine or metal on metal or clicking like it a CV or anyhting else, not air in power sterring resevoir etc. The steering wheel "shudders" and you hear a vibration (not metalic or clunking) noise somewhere under the car?
    Another slightly scary thing happened this morning when I was on a off ramp (cloverleaf) and decelerating with light braking, the car suddenly (only for a fraction of a second) lurched to the left towards a reatining wall and I almost %^&* my pants.
    I did read on one similar thread about the "tone rings and ABS sensors" since this information is fed to the center diff and it could be receiving "bad data" concerning the wheel speeds?
    Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check tire wear, NOW! I bet your alignment is off.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Check tire wear, NOW! I bet your alignment is off.
    I just installed 4 BRAND new Blizzaks last week and cat doesn't pull. Other ideas??

Knuckle bearing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    Knuckle bearing?

Would that be plausible with only having 55k miles on the car? How do you check it?
    Thanks

Jack up the car and see if you have play in the wheel. I always hold the rim/tire with 2 hands and rock it back and forth. In its early stages you can hear a slight grind then it gets louder. If its the front under heavy braking it'll pulsate.

Check you axle nut and torque them to spec. Sorry I don't know the specs.

Others please chime in if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by atranz View Post
    Jack up the car and see if you have play in the wheel. I always hold the rim/tire with 2 hands and rock it back and forth. In its early stages you can hear a slight grind then it gets louder. If its the front under heavy braking it'll pulsate.

Check you axle nut and torque them to spec. Sorry I don't know the specs.

Others please chime in if I'm wrong.

Will do, THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by createaneutron View Post
    Would that be plausible with only having 55k miles on the car? How do you check it?
    Thanks
    Only 55k yeah, but it is a 10 year old car now.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

An update to my problem and the discovered solution. It turned out to be the power steering fluid needing to be flushed and changed. After this was done, the shutter disappeared! I couldn't figure it out, but a local shop nailed it! I was thinking the worst and it turned out to be a fairly inexpensive solution

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.