Help me figure out what happened?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me figure out what happened? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my car has just recently starting slipping the clutch pretty bad, probably because I was getting by on the ...

Help me figure out what happened?

So my car has just recently starting slipping the clutch pretty bad, probably because I was getting by on the stocker on around 350wtq and I was just dealing with it for the past few 100 miles or so, I went to drive the car a short bit today and theres an odd sound that seems to be directly related to vehicle speed almost like a card in your bike spoke that hits every one revolution or something like that, but nothing is visably hitting anything. Also, the car no longer goes into 3rd gear unless you do a speed matched shift, seemingly like a synchro is out, and if you do get it into gear it makes a lot of noise.. any ideas?
    BTW car is an 06 WRX TR with vf30 turbo, ID1000CC E85, SPT 3 in TBE. dynotuned by a local shop here called excessive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Drain the transmission oil and look for chunks. If it won't go into 3rd, and it making odd noises, I would plan on a transmission rebuild.

I figured as much.. unfortunately. Had to hope there would be something magical and easy. RA gears a decent route for a daily drive that I drive pretty conservatively?

RA gears would not be any stronger than your stock gears, and their ratios are horrible IMO.

Hm, its weird people's opinions seem so bipolar on the RA gearsets, some say they are decenly stronger than stock, some say they are worthless. Would I be better off with a 6 speed swap?..

Depends on what "stock" is for you. If you have the early 2002 AA code 5mt, then yes, RA gears are stronger than stock. If you have BA gears from an 03 transmission I would guess that RA gears are still a little stronger.. now if you have gears from a 2006 WRX then that's a different story.

RA gears can handle more abuse for how strong they are because of the short ratios. But I can't understand why anyone would want such short ratios unless your car has less than 200hp.

Better off with a 6 speed swap? Reliability wise, yes.. pocketbook wise, no. I'm not a fan of the close ratios of the 6 speed either, but the 07+ six speed ratios aren't bad. If you want a transmission you can beat on and not have to worry about, then a six speed is about the only way to go.

Without spending a crazy amount of money on PPGs.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by snowth1ef View Post

A six speed will cost as much or more than PPGs. http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-193...nsmission.aspx

Well I was hoping to source a used 6 speed. and because I have a wrx I'd need axles and hubs and everything too.

If you get an 04 six speed then you don't have to replace the hubs.. but there are more wheel options for 5x114, and the bearings are better. The six speed swap I would like to do ends up around $9k all together.

Oh god.. I definitely don't want to stick that into this car right now. haha

I have this posted over at nasioc too, and someone was saying that its possible that part of the clutch face broke off and is rattling around inside, does that make sense even tho it wont go into 3rd or when it does go into 3rd it makes some bad noises?

Quote Originally Posted by snowth1ef View Post
    Drews has PPGs?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Drews has PPGs?
    Like for sale?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sold them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast