Crunchy clutch
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Crunchy clutch within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So today I'm pulling into work at 6am and engage my clutch to take the Rex out of gear and ...

Crunchy clutch

So today I'm pulling into work at 6am and engage my clutch to take the Rex out of gear and all of a sudden I hear a faint CRUNCHHH........I really hoped it was something I had heard outside or something but sure enough when I pressed the clutch in again, it crunched about 3/4 of the way down. Now I FREAKED!!!!!!!! I opened up the hood and sat back in the car and again engaged the clutch and sure enough, the crunching sound was more profound. Everytime I pressed the clutch in it sounded like a crunch or creak. I called up my local subaru dealer and they told me to bring it in. Sure enough after work I was there. The tech mad me open up my hood and press the clutch in and sure enough it crunched louder than ever. He's like " well that doesn't sound good". I have a cobb ap3 and sf intake and they didn't even ask me one question about it. He said there's so many components to a clutch that it would be hard to tell if it was the throw out beating, cylinder, bushing or the actual clutch itself. I brought up the old "weld broke on the firewall" question and he started laughing. He said he doubts it but he'll look into it. I was in and out in a rental in about 20 minutes. Shout out to Lou at Pembroke Pines subaru. Didn't ask my any questions about mods. She just asked what was wrong and took care of it. They said they will more than likely replace the entire clutch assembly. It should take 2-3 days. I'll update once I get the diagnosis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sidenote: 2012 wrx hatch with 17,000 miles. Never launched it and i definitely know how to drive stick. Just happened out of the blue.

Hope it works out for you...and yeah, it really could be a multitude of things. First thing that did pop into my head was the ole "busted firewall weld" stories as well
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Ha! Yeah man i freaked out. Hopefully everything comes out good. I'll keep you guys posted.

Whats the "busted firewall weld"? Clutch master cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by cmayba View Post
    Whats the "busted firewall weld"? Clutch master cylinder?
    Find info here.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

UPDATE: So after one day of having my car at the dealership to inspect the clutch, i get a call from the service advisor who told me that Subaru of America says to grease the clutch pivot point and that 80% of the time that usually takes care of the problem. She told me that if the problem persists i could bring the car back in and they would replace the entire clutch assembly. So i agreed and 10 minutes after i left the dealership sure enough the clutch squeak was back. i immediately called her back and she said to bring it in on Monday. So i was cool about it. Now i have two guesses, either my throw out bearing is shot or i have the infamous firewall weld problem. When i got home that day i opened my hood and had my sister press in the clutch pedal. I heard a crunching noise coming from somewhere under the intercooler near the transmission. This leads me to believe that theres obviously a problem with the clutch itself. But when im in the cabin, the sound seems to be coming from the clutch pedal area (firewall issue). Long story short, im bringing it in tomorrow and telling them to replace the clutch (which they said they would anyways if the problem persisted) and telling them to check for the firewall assembly weld. The last thing i need is to get a new clutch installed only to have to turn right back around and have them look for something again. Ill probably show them a few cases where people have had this problem. Its crazy that almost everyone has had this issue and they've done nothing about it. It drives me crazy.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would put my money on the throw out bearing.. I had one get misaligned in there somehow and it would make this metallic grinding noise from underneath the car when I depressed the pedal. When I pulled it out the inner portion of the TOB was all chewed up.. luckily TOBs are inexpensive, and for someone who pulls their engine as much as I do, replacing it was a cinch.

UPDATE: so I've had the car at the dealership since Monday, they called Wednesday to tell me the parts hadn't arrived yet. So I called today (THursday) and they said they were working on my car. I asked what parts they ordered and they told me the clutch lever and clutch pivot point. The service advisor said the techs think that's the problem. He said my car should be done by tomorrow (Friday) but he said he's gonna drive it and make sure everything is 100%. If not, he said he's ordering me an entire clutch assembly. I expressed to him that I really don't wanna be going back and forth to the dealership so to take care of anything now that my car is there. Im gonna wait until tomorrow. Either he'll tell me to come pick it up or he'll keep it another couple days to get the clutch installed. We'll see. What I find weird is that when I dropped it off, I specifically opened the hood and showed him the noise in the bell housing Everytime I depressed the clutch. He ensured me it was the throw out bearing. Lol I hope I don't run into anymore problems. Hopefully he just changes out the entire unit

Update: alright guys so I got my car back from the dealer about a week ago. Everything seems to be fixed. They replaced the clutch pivot point (basically clutch pedal assembly) and the actual clutch itself. I have no noise at all. I'll keep you guys updated and repost in a month or two.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.