STI Short Throw Shifter w/ KB Bushings?

This is a discussion on STI Short Throw Shifter w/ KB Bushings? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Forum, I have a STI STS (Short throw shifter) and bushings and I was wondering if keeping the STI ...

STI Short Throw Shifter w/ KB Bushings?

Hey Forum,

I have a STI STS (Short throw shifter) and bushings and I was wondering if keeping the STI STS and change out to Kartboy front and rear bushings will be smooth or not?

If anyone have this combination some suggestions will be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Yes
    Would it better to have a compatible shifter and bushings or the bushings will be just as smooth?

I don't get the question...

If you have the OEM short shifter, then yes you can also put in a Kartboy STS to go with it. Yes, do the bushings because those are what makes the difference when it comes to more precises and better feeling shifting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The car came with the STI STS and Bushings but I don't feel like its that precise. Would just getting the KB bushings be fine?

I get your question, OP. You're saying your car already has the stock shifter (Lever/assembly) from the factory, but you still don't like the slop. So you're asking if upgrading only the front/rear bushings to the kartboy units will be beneficial to you.

In short, the answer is yes, I imagine it would firm up the shift feel, but your throws will still be the same distance. For an even shorter shift distance, you'll also need to install the actual kartboy shifter, and not JUST the bushings.

I too have the STi short shifter in my car, but I have a Kartboy STS and bushings ready to install, just haven't had a chance to get them in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post
    I get your question, OP. You're saying your car already has the stock shifter (Lever/assembly) from the factory, but you still don't like the slop. So you're asking if upgrading only the front/rear bushings to the kartboy units will be beneficial to you.

In short, the answer is yes, I imagine it would firm up the shift feel, but your throws will still be the same distance. For an even shorter shift distance, you'll also need to install the actual kartboy shifter, and not JUST the bushings.

I too have the STi short shifter in my car, but I have a Kartboy STS and bushings ready to install, just haven't had a chance to get them in yet.

Be sure to report back with your impressions. I will be considering this in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by irickchad View Post

Yes! Thank you! How much did you get the complete assembly for? Im thinking about getting full set of KB too! Give me an update on how it feels please and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by blee5192 View Post
    Yes! Thank you! How much did you get the complete assembly for? Im thinking about getting full set of KB too! Give me an update on how it feels please and thank you!
    I got mine on the "Daily Deal" thread from Fast Tuning Products for around $150, Shifter and Bushings. I'll gladly give you an update, but I'm already going to bet that it's going to make a world of difference in shift feel. Next on my list is a new knob, to get it all done at once, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by blee5192 View Post
    Would it better to have a compatible shifter and bushings or the bushings will be just as smooth?
    Thr problem here is that Subaru does not make a firmer bushing that's comparable to aftermarket bushings (like Kartboy).

The stock and STI shifter bushings are rubber and soft. This contributes to the vague and rubbery feel most drivers complain about. BTW, the STI bushing (rear only) are slightly firmer, but nowhere near as firm as the Kartboys.

The Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings are firm and urethane based. It's the firmer bushings that result in the notchier shift feel.

The shift lever influences the throw (making it longer or shorter).

I have installed the STI STS and I recently installed the Kartboy Front and Rear bushings for it after the fact I didn't enjoy the feel of the stock bushings while shifting.

The front and rear KB bushing helped alot in terms of feel and the crisp feel of the gear locking in place MUCH better. The throws feel about the same but I hear the STI STS only gives about a 10% decrease in throws opposed to Kartboy that could decrease throws by 20-25%. I cannot say that is true but only what I have heard.

Conclusion: You shift often so in terms its a very significant affordable upgrade everyone should do.
    I had the Subie dealer install it for $100, parts were $30.

Hope this helps all
    Last edited by itiswhatitisnt; 11-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    I have installed the STI STS and I recently installed the Kartboy Front and Rear bushings for it after the fact I didn't enjoy the feel of the stock bushings while shifting.

The front and rear KB bushing helped alot in terms of feel and the crisp feel of the gear locking in place MUCH better. The throws feel about the same but I hear the STI STS only gives about a 10% decrease in throws opposed to Kartboy that could decrease throws by 20-25%. I cannot say that is true but only what I have heard.

Conclusion: You shift often so in terms its a very significant affordable upgrade everyone should do.
    I had the Subie dealer install for it $100 parts were $30.

Hope this helps all
    It's true.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    It's true.
    It's true that the Kartboy lever will reduce throw length more than the SPT offering, but the difference is >10-15% more...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC