is my clutch pedal adjustable?

This is a discussion on is my clutch pedal adjustable? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got an 08 WRX, and since the day I've had it, (44,000 miles on it at that point) the ...

is my clutch pedal adjustable?

I've got an 08 WRX, and since the day I've had it, (44,000 miles on it at that point) the clutch pedal has been has been somewhat tough to depress, which i have read is somewhat common. My clutch doesn't disengage until just above the floor...is this adjustable? I can't tell that its noticably worse that when i bought the car, but I'm going to be moving from southern Colorado to the Philadelphia area for 4 years for optometry school and I have the means (probably) to replace the clutch before I go. I won't be moving until March-April, but i know that sometime while I'm out there I'll need to do my timing belt, etc as well.

So i guess my question is, should I just wait for the clutch to get bad and then pay to have it done? I don't drive the car that hard. I have done a few dumb things in it before i knew better, but now i'm very cautious with starts, etc. It has just over 86K on it now on what i'm sure is a stock clutch. I know its too soon to do the timing belt, but when i'm neck deep in school, i'm not going to have the time to do it, and i don't know what my financial situation will be during that time frame.

Any advice is appreciated here. I have never been fond of paying someone to work on my car/truck/motorcycle because i like doing the work myself, but maybe this is different.

Thanks.

Josh
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Has it been difficult like that since you first had it?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

yeah. if i drive in stop and go, which is not often, my leg gets real tired.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Quite possible you have an aftermarket Stage 1 or 2 clutch...the OEM shouldn't be that hard to press down.

As for adjusting? I'm not sure...a dealer or transmission shop might be able to answer that better.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Interesting. I'll see what i can find as far as potential pedal adjustment. I can't see much of anything under the dash, thats for sure. I don't know why it would have an aftermarket clutch in it, because it was stock when i got it....ha at least thats what i was told. It could have been stage 2'd and put back to stock i guess.
    Josh

Subscribed to see if it's possible...

Sent from my iPwn
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Quite possible you have an aftermarket Stage 1 or 2 clutch...the OEM shouldn't be that hard to press down.

As for adjusting? I'm not sure...a dealer or transmission shop might be able to answer that better.
    +1 on this. My stock clutch is actually quite light. I'd have it checked out.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Any suggestions on how to determine if its aftermarket that don't include splitting it apart?
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    Any suggestions on how to determine if its aftermarket that don't include splitting it apart?
    don't believe so, and i agree with everyone else. i have a 2012 and a completely torn ACL in my left knee and my stock clutch only bothers me if i have to hold it in for an extended period (sitting in traffic usually) I would take it to a tranny shop and have them check it out

If I could just adjust it somehow to be farther from the floor I would be soooo happy
    Josh

Best thing is to do is to feel how another clutch in a stock car(08-10)feels like. If it feels completely lighter, then you most likely have either a stage 1 or 2 as Mikie said.

I had the same issue, and I didn't find out until I felt Mikie's clutch.

I also like my aftermarket clutch a lot better than stock
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

yeah, thats my game plan now. there its a white hatch in town that i'm going to track down.
    Josh

Had a severely loose bolt that holds the upper portion of the pedal assembly onto the firewall. Can't believe it was such a simple fix, but I'm glad I didn't put a clutch in for no reason. The engagement now seems to be in the middle of the stroke and also seems to be easier to do. Haven't driven it much with the bolt tightened how it should be, but I hope this fixes it. I feel super lame for having it be such a simple fix, but it beats a 1200 dollar clutch job.
    Josh

good to hear man, you didn't hear any clicking or weird noises from the loose bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by kdeitrich View Post
    good to hear man, you didn't hear any clicking or weird noises from the loose bolt?
    It squeaked and creaked but i could never determine where it came from. but i had the dash off, and finally was able to see where the flex came from. FWIW, i think there is some adjustability of the pedal where it attaches to the firewall.
    Josh