COBB Bushings? Short Throw Shiftier

This is a discussion on COBB Bushings? Short Throw Shiftier within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am considering having COBB or AWDTuning install shift bushings. I currently have the STi Short Throw Shifter Package installed ...

I Support ClubWRX

Question COBB Bushings? Short Throw Shiftier

I am considering having COBB or AWDTuning install shift bushings. I currently have the STi Short Throw Shifter Package installed in my 2013 WRX Hatch however hate the slop.

I have read good things about kartboy bushings but no one local (dallas) sells them (to my knowledge). I talked to COBB and asked what is different with there bushings over Kartboys. I was told they both make a great improvement but COBB feels their bushings are made with a higher quality material than the kartboys (I am assured all manufactures feel this way about their products)

My questions are:

• Has anyone else used the COBB bushings?
    • Have you paid to have them installed?
    • Should I look into just a new knob or should I include a Short Throw Shifter like a Kartboy or COBB Adjustable?

I also like that COBB is a local business, I do my best to support local first.
    Wish Cobb sold a Short Throw package with everything at a discounted price.
    Last edited by jtk07; 10-25-2013 at 06:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    IMO I'd go with whichever bushings are cheaper. Of course Cobb is going to tell you their product is better than their competitors. Talk to Kartboy; tell me you don't hear the reciprocal.

Paying for install of these bushings is an utter waste of money. These bushings can be installed with basic hand tools, a little elbow grease, and 30 minutes of your time. Plus, I can promise you that a certain aspect of pride (both in yourself and your car) is resultant from doing all your own work.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I am Leary to attempt this task after reading some of the horror stories about the rear bushing and having cars towed to a shop.

I will add a mention that yes I am aware Kartboys typical response or anyone else manufacturing a replacement bushing would feel there product is best. - Not trying to head down that road, i appreciate you bring it up now to nip it in the bud!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd not worry; the bushing install is quite easy

The car is brand new, so you shouldn't have problems. I've snapped over 20 bolts off my car (due to age and corrosion), but the car has never had to be towed to a shop...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You should pay someone to install them.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Although low on my radar (steelies/winter tires being priority), I'm looking at both the Cobb and Kartboy short shifters . I've heard both are good, with the Cobb being more adjustable, where the kartboy is a one piece design. I'd be interested in your feedback. Good Luck
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    I got the front bushings installed and what a difference! COBB recommended trying these first and I am definitely impressed! Later I may do rear but this is way better!

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    I got the front bushings installed and what a difference! COBB recommended trying these first and I am definitely impressed! Later I may do rear but this is way better!

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!
    The rear makes even more difference. Especially on an older model with more worn bushings.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.