2004 WRX Transmission swap, Auto to Manual

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX Transmission swap, Auto to Manual within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off im new to the Subaru scene and im excited to learn and get into it, so just go ...

2004 WRX Transmission swap, Auto to Manual

First off im new to the Subaru scene and im excited to learn and get into it, so just go easy on me! Im looking at getting a 2004 WRX, its a really nice car the only thing is i would like a manual but its an automatic. So i am curious as to how much a swap would be just for a 5 speed, or if it would be a better plan to go for an STI 6 speed. Also i would like to know what all i would need to do the swap. Any info you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Tagging on also new here and wondering kind off the same thing here. I have a 197k 02 wrx auto and have a chance to buy a wrecked 04 5sp with 80k. Will the 04 drivetrain swap in without a ton off fab?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You wouldn't have to really do any fabrication, but the swap is a pain in the ass. You're going to need pedals, wiring, ECU, along with the clutch, transmission, shift linkage, center console, shifter itself, drive shaft.. probably more than than (I've never looked into it myself).

Whether or not a 6-speed would be worth it depends on several factors. Three of them being what do you plan on doing to the car mods wise, what you are going to use the car for, and what your budget is.

Why not just buy a manual transmission WRX if you haven't already bought one yet?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257