Short Shifter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Short Shifter within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone local In northern VA that can put a short shifter in my 2010 Wrx. I am willing to pay ...

Short Shifter

Anyone local In northern VA that can put a short shifter in my 2010 Wrx. I am willing to pay$50 to $80 bucks for the install and buy the parts just don't trust myself to do it and don't think it is worth $410 for dealer install.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Post in the Mid Atlantic Forums. I am down in the Front Royal area, never done one on a WRX ( I have on Fords) but how hard could it be? You help and no charge, consider it a learning experience for us.

ClubWRX.net Vendor Fast Tuning Products's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You are a little far for us to do an install. But we have sales going on right now with kartboy shifters and bushings! Free shipping to VA.
    Available Nights and Weekends Via E-mail and Private Message!!
    We want to Earn your Business!
    Give Us a Call Monday - Friday 10a-6p EST to order by phone!
    724-708-3044
    Need a price matched or beat? Email Us: sales@fasttuningproducts.com
    Like Us on Facebook: www.FaceBook.com/FastTuningProducts
    www.FastTuningProducts.com
    We Accept Paypal/Visa/MasterCard/American Express/AMEX/Discover

I'm from fredericksburg but at college right now, but I come home fairly often. I threw a kartboy in my 2011 two weeks ago.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

It's really insanely easy to do...if you don't trust yourself doing that, then how do you trust yourself through the rest of life?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

It is really a simple process to just install the shifter. If you are planning on installing bushings as well it can make the process a bit more difficult, but not terribly hard.

I installed mine about a month ago and had never installed on a WRX before. It took me 45 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part for me was getting the spring clip back in (it wouldn't lock in flat).

I installed the bushings the next weekend and it took an hour and 15 minutes.

Kartboy Shifter Install

This link is for an older model, but the instructions are the same, except for actually removing the stock shifter. To remove the new ones, there is a spring clip holding it in place (get cheap spring clip pliers) and then the stock shifter just pulls out. Then when you put the new one in, just push it into place with the white plastic piece, and replace the spring clip. No need to use a hammer, if you do, it might break the white plastic piece.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Short shifter install = easy. If you know how to use a ratchet and spring clip pliers, you know how to install the short shifter.

Shifter bushings = easy to moderate. Requires the use of a lift, a pit, or jackstands. You'll have to remove the heatshield and disconnect the O2 sensor plug to clear the interference. Again, if you know how to use a ratchet, you know how to install the bushings. The rear bushings are a PITA because of the alignment of the bolts, but once you get it started, it's easy.

None of this stuff is complicated. There are numerous videos on youtube showing how to install the short shifter. There aren't many videos showing installation of the shifter bushings, but again, it's not difficult.

My advice would be to get in touch with a fellow ClubWRX'er and have him/her give you a hand with the install. This will give you an opportunity to learn a thing or two about turning a wrench.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Its always nice to have a hand. I'd come by and help you if I could. All I would ask for is lunch or something lol.

It may be an easy install, but you can't expect someone who has never done math to just one day start doing math. If you've never done any work on a car, there's nothing wrong with getting help. Just look up some videos like everyone said and try it yourself if you cant find anyone to give you a hand. You gotta start somewhere, and it will be more rewarding if you do it yourself
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 10-23-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    You gotta start somewhere, and it will be more rewarding if you do it yourself
    And the short shifter install is a great place to start. Either that or Rally Armor mudflaps...

I got it done I made one mistake and overtightened the pivot joint but I got right and what an great machine sound system is next and I think I will just leave it the alone as far as mods go for a while

Quote Originally Posted by roadster20th View Post
    I got it done I made one mistake and overtightened the pivot joint but I got right and what an great machine sound system is next and I think I will just leave it the alone as far as mods go for a while
    ...and BTW, you wouldn't be the first to overtighten the bolt. But most figure it out when they find it makes the shifter too tight during shifts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.