Shifter Modification
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Shifter Modification within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I thought I would post this here to see if anyone had any ideas for a modification i ...

Shifter Modification

Hey everyone,

I thought I would post this here to see if anyone had any ideas for a modification i plan on doing to my shifter.

Basically, right now I am shifting with my left hand because my right arm extends just below my elbow. I am able to shift, but it could definitely be more comfortable with this mod. To make it work i would need to extend the shifter back about 9-10 inches. We build a rough prototype of what we were going to use, and it seems it should work. The challenge, which may be inevitable, is that with our current design there is a rocking motion the shifter will do when going back in to 2nd and 4th gear. Ideally maybe there would be some sort of pivot to keep the extension level, but I cant think of any way to do it. I have already installed the Kartboy short throw shifter to help this as much as possible.

Here is a paint version of what were doing , and we are going to try to machine a usable version of it this weekend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifterextension.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	119025

Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Seems like a really cool idea. Post pics of it when you're done! Its nice to see practical mod ideas for those with physical needs.

The only other thing I can really think of to help, is to be sure the aluminum rod isn't too back heavy. Maybe even find a lighter Copolymer or plastic material? As well as a lighter shift knob. Reason for this is, you don't want any stress on the lever while it's in gear. This can stress the gears themselves and lead to premature wear. Basically the same reason why it's always told to not rest your hand on the shifter while driving in gear.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I would take in to account the angle of the shifter stick while in the gears in the lower side of the tree (2nd 4th Rev) and make sure there is no console/e-break interface. Placing the set screw below the threads of the shift knob and drilling a divot to lock it will allow a quick change back to factory if required. Looks like a great DIY engineering job, post some pics when it is done!

Have you considered something like using plastic pipe? It's rigid, lightweight, easy to shape/fabricate and size and configuration, and cheap. The sacrifice is aesthetic, however--plastic pipe won't LOOK nearly as good as pretty aluminum in there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaStyle View Post
    Hey everyone,

I thought I would post this here to see if anyone had any ideas for a modification i plan on doing to my shifter.

Basically, right now I am shifting with my left hand because my right arm extends just below my elbow. I am able to shift, but it could definitely be more comfortable with this mod. To make it work i would need to extend the shifter back about 9-10 inches. We build a rough prototype of what we were going to use, and it seems it should work. The challenge, which may be inevitable, is that with our current design there is a rocking motion the shifter will do when going back in to 2nd and 4th gear. Ideally maybe there would be some sort of pivot to keep the extension level, but I cant think of any way to do it. I have already installed the Kartboy short throw shifter to help this as much as possible.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Oooo... I love a good accessibility engineering project! I did my senior thesis paper on driver ergonomics, and designed hand controls for use with arm guards (straps to hold your arms inside a roll cage during Baja racing). This is right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The only other thing I can really think of to help, is to be sure the aluminum rod isn't too back heavy. Maybe even find a lighter Copolymer or plastic material? As well as a lighter shift knob.
    Thinking only on the OP's concept, I agree to a point, but if the OP has access to milling equipment, aluminum bar stock could be machined into a lightweight, rigid beam more easily than plastics, and probably look more attractive. Polypropelene or polycarbonate might be acceptably rigid plastics, although I'd still prefer Al.

OP, if you don't mind, would you be able to show how you shift right now, and how your right arm looks against the current shifter? I'm wondering if the shifter throw were shortened up, but the knob height was increased and replaced with a more easily gripped device (like a shallow cup), if that might allow you to comfortably shift with your right arm and not have to take your left hand off the wheel.

Cobb's double-adjustable shifter could very easily be modified for this sort of setup. Simply replace the shift lever round bar with a longer one, tap the end, and replace the shift knob with something you can grip. This arrangement would eliminate the large lateral moment on the shift lever.

Regardless, post pics, this sounds like a cool project!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Oooo... I love a good accessibility engineering project! I did my senior thesis paper on driver ergonomics, and designed hand controls for use with arm guards (straps to hold your arms inside a roll cage during Baja racing). This is right up my alley.

Thinking only on the OP's concept, I agree to a point, but if the OP has access to milling equipment, aluminum bar stock could be machined into a lightweight, rigid beam more easily than plastics, and probably look more attractive. Polypropelene or polycarbonate might be acceptably rigid plastics, although I'd still prefer Al.

OP, if you don't mind, would you be able to show how you shift right now, and how your right arm looks against the current shifter? I'm wondering if the shifter throw were shortened up, but the knob height was increased and replaced with a more easily gripped device (like a shallow cup), if that might allow you to comfortably shift with your right arm and not have to take your left hand off the wheel.

Cobb's double-adjustable shifter could very easily be modified for this sort of setup. Simply replace the shift lever round bar with a longer one, tap the end, and replace the shift knob with something you can grip. This arrangement would eliminate the large lateral moment on the shift lever.

Regardless, post pics, this sounds like a cool project!
    Wow, thank you everyone for the replies!

I wish I would have thought of using the Cobb like that!!! That is actually a way better idea than making the stupid coupler. I already ordered the materials so I think I am still going to move forward on this, but if I have any problems I will probably go that route. I might post those pictures of how I shift now if I can get my wife to take a picture or something tomorrow morning.

It kind of sucks because the coupler is definitely the worst part to make. :\

We made one out of a 5/8 coupler that we drilled and tapped mid way 12x1.25, then drilled a little over 1/2in on the other end, but it ended up being sort of short and marred and ugly. We have access to a machine shop this weekend so the plan is to start fresh. I ordered a 5/8 solid hex rod we are going to cut to size and do the same process with, as well as a couple of quick release pins. We also have some left over aluminum rod we are going to lathe and die. If all goes well and it doesn't look horrible I was hoping to have it powder coated matte black (can you powder coat aluminium?).
    Last edited by NinjaStyle; 10-15-2013 at 08:28 PM.

question rambo. would a shifter extension like that cause the amount of movement at the handle to increase rather dramatically? even hardmounted to the shifter lever it seems like ive seen a setup like that before and the problem they ran into was the increase of throw, mainly side to side for the above mentioned 2/4/5-r shifter movements.

this is a overly complex pipe dream, but could the shifter be moved back to the e-brake location? i dont think the shift rods and mounting would be overly complex but the interior center column refab might be a chore. the ebrake lever is cable operated and could be possibly stuffed beside the left side of the drivers seat.

edit. after rereading i see the part about the throw in the shift assembly. lol, sorry
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Very cool idea!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Hey everyone, sorry its been a while since i updated on this project. We made a prototype a while back with a bend in aluminium, then had a family friend make a more legit version in his machine shop. Here are photos of the two side by side, and one of the new one being plastidipped.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9648.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	120337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131028_162507.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	120345

That's awesome! Can't wait to see what it's like on the car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.