belive to be gearbox/ centre diff fault

This is a discussion on belive to be gearbox/ centre diff fault within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys and gals ok I have jus posted a previous thread about my clutch I have jus put a ...

belive to be gearbox/ centre diff fault

hi guys and gals

ok I have jus posted a previous thread about my clutch I have jus put a new clutch in but that wasn't the main fault of the scoob.
    I have jus done the rwd conversion the centre and rear diff have been welded and the front shafts taken out.
    ok then I put my car into gear and it will engage then slip (not clutch or any of the hydros) there is no clutch smell asif your riding the clutch or anything it jus spins freely but only putting down very little or no power/movement to the rear wheels what so ever. I no for a fact that the rear diff has been welded up correctly but I give the centre diff to a mate as hes done several of them could it be down to the centre diff or anything else in the gearbox?? I am mechanically minded but not all clued up on this particular drive line system if anyone has any inkling or suggestion what it could possibly be I would be much appreciated as im dying to get out in it and have sum fun and if you ask y did I do a rwd conversion and not just buy a rwd standard I have I also own a 300zx tt and fancied a little challenge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, I've seen this conversion several times. You may want to stock up on rear diffs and axles or switch out for something stronger like an R180. There are so many options and combinations. Search on NASIOC, I've seen 240sx rear diffs, toyota trannsmissions, chevy rear ends and axles.

As far as your problem, he could have welded it incorrectly and it's still putting power down to the front axles. Almost all the power would go to the front in this case where there is no load because the front axles are removed.

Here's a link of what you're trying to do:
    Converting AWD to 2wd RWD w/ pics

An easier option would be a conversion spool from Andrewtech, PPG, or other companies for the subaru 5-speed, this option is non-permanent too.
    http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp?productid=72

thanks a lot for the reply and the link but the centre diff I have isn't a clutch plated diff with 2 planet gears mine has 4 planet gears which is simply like welding up a rear diff diff if I am correct in saying so?? could there be anything else in the gear box itself that it could be that you would no?? im not doubting that it could be the centre diff but would like to no if theres any other possibility's of what it could be, thanks again

I gave up reading this, sorry. Didn't even get thru the second sentence ;-)
    No punctuation makes for hard reading...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

not really the advice I wanted but cheers I think