reverse check sleeve

This is a discussion on reverse check sleeve within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is the reverse check sleeve and can it in anyway block out reverse? Other then what it is there ...

reverse check sleeve

What is the reverse check sleeve and can it in anyway block out reverse? Other then what it is there for that is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My guess is you're talking about a "boot" over the shift lever that has to be pulled up to allow going into reverse. Other cars had the requirement to slightly turn the shift lever or push a button on the know to go into reverse. My 09 doesn't have any "security" in this regard. If any of those mechanisms break they would quite likely keep you from shifting into reverse.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Reverse lock collar? It prevents you from shifting into reverse without lifting it up. Safety feature on only the 6 speed transmissions.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

its in an 02 wrx sorry i didnt add that. My car does not have the lock. when I try to shift it into reverse the gate is blocked out. this car sat for a long time after an accident, im just wondering if the sleeve failed in some way and locked the gate out. linkage looks fine ive taken it apart twice and have no change. my next step would be to pull the sleeve but looking to see if that could even be it before i do that.

thanks all

bump

If it's stuck and in no way will go in reverse, something's either wrong at the gate, or wrong at the gear in the gearbox, which figuring out would probably require splitting the case.

Or...I have no idea what I'm talking about? I'm only used to the 6spds. Sorry
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying