Clutch issues.. ride it out til it fails or replace early?

This is a discussion on Clutch issues.. ride it out til it fails or replace early? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an exactly 4 year old wrx hatch i purchased new in oct 09. For a while now I've ...

Clutch issues.. ride it out til it fails or replace early?

I have an exactly 4 year old wrx hatch i purchased new in oct 09. For a while now I've had some inconsistent (comes and goes) squeeking/squeeling coming from my clutch. I know it the bearing and possibly something else, and I know that when I do have it fixed with all the labor already involved I will just replace the whole clutch. I've been putting it off because it comes and goes and the clutch has otherwise still worked well.

Other than the obvious risk that my clutch goes out suddenly, is there any other issue with playing it by ear or is the sound a strong indicator to just fix it?

This is the first manual car I've owned or ever driven, so I'm sure I did some hard stuff to it as I was learning and probably rode the clutch more than I should have, but it doesn't seem like 4 years is long for mostly just daily driving.

I was curious if this seems to be a common issue or trend with the car or specific year, and if there is any real good specific clutch I should purchase to have my mechanic install or anything that will hold up well.

Thanks all

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Interestingly, and possibly related, I've been seeing reports that the firewall weld can break in some cars and lead to squeaking.

Firewall welds breaking
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Interestingly, and possibly related, I've been seeing reports that the firewall weld can break in some cars and lead to squeaking.

Firewall welds breaking
    awesome.. appreciate that link man

anyone else?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you barely depress the clutch, does the throw out beating stop with the goofy noises? You may just need to adjust the clutch pedal. As the clutch plate wears, then the pedal can be too far out and can wear on the throw out from the opposite side. I had that problem, and a 1/4 turn of a wrench fixed it for me. Sounded like tweety bird
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!