Just a quick question on AWD and the WRX...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just a quick question on AWD and the WRX... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I've never driven an AWD vehicle before and I was just curious. Are the WRXs more prone to ...

Just a quick question on AWD and the WRX...

Hey all,

I've never driven an AWD vehicle before and I was just curious. Are the WRXs more prone to understeer than oversteer? It seems like from a few of the videos I've seen, it is more prone to understeer when pushed, although I've seen a few videos too where the back will suddenly lash out unexpectedly. What has been your experience?

Also, I live in Utah where it snows alot. I know AWD really helps for acceleration in the snow, but I've seen firsthand that good snow tires on a FWD car will outperform all season tires on an AWD car for general snowy road performance. Of course if you load the AWD car with snow tires, then it is king again. Is it really that helpful to have AWD on snowy roads? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure if troll...

Nope, I' dead serious. I just don't think AWD is as big as an advantage as everyone makes it out to be. Just wanted to see if some guys out there had some experience, like "honestly I dont notice much difference in the snow" or something. Like I said, getting moving I'm sure it helps a bit, but other than that, unless your rally racing or something, I'm just not sure its something I want to pay for year round in order to have a minor advantage when cold weather comes.

As for the AWD understeer or oversteer, thats a valid question too. I did some searches, but it returned like every thread in the forum, and most of them looked completely unrelated. I've never been impressed with forum search boxes, but perhaps its my searching skills that suck.

Not sure if your answer is troll...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Understeer.

And yes, huge advantage in snow, and anything that's not pavement.

My WRX is unbelievably better in the snow than any front driver I have ever owned. I traded an 08 SI on it and have a 2011 V-6 6-speed Accord Coupe as well. As far as summer tires I've never tried them in the snow. We have winter tires on 6 months of the year (Nov thru April)as I spend most of my time in the UP of Michigan.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's kind of a trick question. There can be either understeer or oversteer. Depends on your driving. In snow, just making a standard turn, there is understeer. With heavy accel or a "Swedish flick" you'll get oversteer.

Yes, a good awd system is king. Especially with snows. I would take my Subaru over my jeep on snow packed roads.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ok these are the answers I was after. So it gives you perhaps what you would call a noticeable confidence in snowy weather? I do like the outdoors too, and wouldn't mind taking the car up the canyon to go snowboarding or something sometime. Do you think I would be ok on all-season tires, coupled with the AWD system? I get by on all-seasons on my light, FWD CRX...

I Support ClubWRX
    If you didn't need snows then you won't need them now.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I actually look forward to snow now.

Cool cool. So far I have this:

WRX Pros:

-great factory power
    -great reliability
    -great safety ratings
    -great sound (exhaust)
    -great AWD system

Cons:
    -Poor interior
    -Not the best MPG in its class

Are there any other cons I'm missing? I am pretty much sold on buying one, I'm just the type of guy that researches EVERYTHING, and I ask all the questions I have before making a purchase.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I feel like the interior is on par with other "normal" cars. It's not luxury but it's not crappy either.

Just go test drive one and decide for yourself, then re-write the subjective part of your pro-con list.

The stock stereo is by far the biggest con IMO. It would be OK for a base Honda Fit.

Going with leather seats spruces up the interior a bit. And yeah, the stock radio was the only thing about the car I didnt like.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kritzell
    The stock stereo is by far the biggest con IMO. It would be OK for a base Honda Fit.
    The WRX is still an entry-level economy vehicle inside, so why wouldn't a cheap stereo be included? The 2004 STI didn't even include one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Fair enough, I didn't view it from that angle. I just thought a 30K automobile should have a better stereo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.