Just a quick question on AWD and the WRX... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just a quick question on AWD and the WRX... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well honestly the stereo isn't of much importance to me. I have minor tinnitus so I only listen to music ...

Well honestly the stereo isn't of much importance to me. I have minor tinnitus so I only listen to music on a very low volume setting. Besides, I much prefer the music the engine makes when I'm driving stick. Its kind of this constant game to drive the car as perfectly as possible. Just enough clutch use to get the car moving, perfectly rev-matched downshifts, clean shifts, etc. I might be weird like that, but if I'm the one driving thats how I prefer it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't listen to mine much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post
    -Not the best MPG in its class
    The wrx is in a class of its own.

I Support ClubWRX
    Interior is not bad. This regular impreza vs civic vs elantra, etc. It's a basic interior, but by no means is it poor. It's all a matter of opinion. I have the leather in mine but test drove 2 versions with cloth and like the seats just as much.

Like what was said above, test drive and see.

The MPGs are, correctly stated, not great. But you're buying a sportier car with a thirstier engine. Comes with the territory. I average 23 combined. There's a whole thread on that on here as well.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    The wrx is in a class of its own.
    Yup...Turbo charged 4 cylinder that weighs as much as a WRX is not going to get good gas mileage. Unless cruising around 50-60 MPH in top gear. Then you see typical mileage of a 4 cyl. Go into boost...different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbeckforever View Post

Cons:
    -Not the best MPG in its class
    Its still better than a 98 528i I'm lucky if I get 15 mpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I imagine if you drive really conservatively and stay out of boost you could probably do alright. Either way, MPG isn't a huge issue.

This Honda S2000 just popped up on a local listing. 14,000 and it has 30k miles, clean title, stock, owned by some rich dude looking to cut down his collection. Man, if we didn't have snowy winters here, I would be ALL over that!

I am almost tempted to pick it up as a summer car anyway, because I am sure I can get that much money out of it 20k miles down the road. But for now I guess I'll keep cruising the local ads for a stock WRX which is turning out to be as rare as finding an oil reserve beneath your backyard.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kritzell
    Fair enough, I didn't view it from that angle. I just thought a 30K automobile should have a better stereo.
    They have to cut corners somewhere to keep the car affordable...

I would assume that the mindset of Subaru is to cut corners on the stereo because many people will want to replace with aftermarket parts, anyway, so no sense bumping the price up for everyone just to have a paperweight. The "premium" sound system that was previously offered (not sure if they still offer) wasn't anything to write home about in terms of bang/buck, either, but they at one point offered a "better" OE option for those who were unhappy with the base model stereo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Back on the snow thing. I never thought I needed snow tires, but I found some on craigslist for an amazing price, so I pulled the plug.

I'm now convinced that dedicated snows are totally worth it. I'm going to buy some for my jeep in a couple months
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Back on the snow thing. I never thought I needed snow tires, but I found some on craigslist for an amazing price, so I pulled the plug.

I'm now convinced that dedicated snows are totally worth it.
    Until you've driven a vehicle with proper snow tires, many people are naive to the fact of how much better they truly are. Same goes for summer tires.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Until you've driven a vehicle with proper snow tires, many people are naive to the fact of how much better they truly are. Same goes for summer tires.
    Truth. Going from FWD with all seasons to AWD with winter tires this past January was amazing.

I don't really think the MPG is too bad, for a turbo 4WD. On a long open road trip it is around 8.5 l/100km (27.5 MPG) with my girlfriend driving. I couldn't drive due to a ruptured Achilles tendon, but if I was driving I reckon I could get it closer to 8 l/100km (29 MPG) just with being smoother. That's real world driving too, not being 'boring'. Around town I have consistently got 10.5-11 l/100km (21-22 MPG).

This is running on 98 RON gas and a totally un-modded JDM Version 8 WRX.

I really think a taller top gear is needed though. 100km/hr at about 3000rpm probably doesn't help much.

I can't speak too much about AWD performance in snow because I haven't driven Garfield in snow YET. But I CAN tell you that a FWD Volvo with all-seasons sucked big monkey balls.

Downside includes the stereo of course (that was the first thing I changed) and I'm not really feeling the hard plastic interior of the doors. It scratches way too easily. And mine are black. Which shows way too easily. No worries though, as this can easily be fixed by lining your doors with your favorite floral fabric and Elmer's glue.

On the bright side, I've been logging my MPG with each gas fill up since the car was brought home w/ 12 miles on the clock. I'm at 2200 miles now and get an average of 24-26 MPG (and that's with boosting around town!)

There is hidden settings to make your stereo sound much better(use the search bar and you can find them), but when you buy an awd car with an engine like the WRX has, your not paying for luxury or interior looks. Your paying for performance, My body is all messed up from riding my quad and i think my 12' WRX has a very comfortable ride. Especially compared to my brothers 370z. Handling sucks stock, sway bars and end-links fix that. I would definitely recommend buying one of these cars. I cant wait to drive mine in the snow

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Fellow Utahrd here, anyone who tells you that AWD isn't a huge advantage in the snow is either retarded or trying to sell you something.

There is a reason why all three of my most recent car purchases have been AWD, and made by Subaru to boot.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast