loud transmission issue?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on loud transmission issue? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so im not totally sure if my car has always been like this but im almost positive the gear box ...

loud transmission issue?

so im not totally sure if my car has always been like this but im almost positive the gear box has gotten louder.
    my 02 wrx has 120k and has no issues shifting into any gears, but when driving its as if i can hear the gears spinning, not really a whine but a whirring sound as if you had the gears out of the car and spun them. its only really audible from around 2 or 3 gears up. the noise gets louder as the speed climbs.

for the hell of it i revved the engine in neutral and no sound at all. im gunna check the fluid after school and possibly change the fluid when i get a chance but are there any other suggestions as to what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

to add i just checked the fluid looks good same as a couple of weeks ago.

however i did realize i didnt notice this sound until AFTER i put my new wheels on a couple days ago
    theyre 18" rotas with new all season tires, although held up to the oem wheels there isnt much of a size difference, could this still affect something??

The tires themselves could be making running noise, mine definitely do...
    Tire size (circumference) shouldn't make any difference if they're equal on all 4.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenferris1 View Post
    to add i just checked the fluid looks good same as a couple of weeks ago.

however i did realize i didnt notice this sound until AFTER i put my new wheels on a couple days ago
    theyre 18" rotas with new all season tires, although held up to the oem wheels there isnt much of a size difference, could this still affect something??
    Did you get an alignment? I agree that the A/S tires could be making more sound than you are used to. What specs are on your wheels/tires?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I think you hit the nail on the head with "whirring noise," sounds like tires, most likely. Have you ever ridden in a jeep? lol

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You own a bugeye. Enough said. My transmission is so noisy that I can hear it over the stereo.

Could be a myriad of things... If you shift into neutral at speed, does the noise still persist? If it does, the issue is post-output shaft.

If the noise does not persist, it may be the transmission... but then again, the car is 11 years old and many of the bushings are beginning to wear.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

if i shift into neutral say doing 30 and the car slows down the pitch also lowers and the sounds dims down as my speed falls (the higher the speed the louder), and alright ill have to make a checklist for now, i just wanted to make sure my differential wasnt going or something.

the tires are 235/40 r18 the only reason i wasnt sure about the tires is because it sounds like it was coming from below the shifter but i guess the sound could carry
    i just replaced the diff fluid to be safe(looked used but slightly new)

on another note i noticed the (what i believe) rear differential bushings? to be very worn down, when i was trying to crank up to remove the drain bolt that little bracket moved back and forth a lot and the bracket was making a squeaking sound. can anyone tell from my description if those are the correct bushings so i can replace them. -thanks for all the input!

[IMG][/IMG]

heres a picture of the bracket that wiggles, you can slightly see the black bushing thats worn out

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenferris1 View Post
    [/IMG]

heres a picture of the bracket that wiggles, you can slightly see the black bushing thats worn out
    Rear diff lockdown kit will do you well
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I have a high mileage bugeye. Keep us posted if you order some bushings!

it might be a little bit but i will! ive decided to chalk the gearset being loud as the trans being loud, new trans fluid and new rear diff fluid didnt make a difference and the car still shifts smooth.
    the rear diff bracket squeaks when i wiggle it so whenever i can get around to those im hoping that will fix my squeaking issue

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.