N00b question about trans oil, high mileage wrx

This is a discussion on N00b question about trans oil, high mileage wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; For my 2004 WRX with over 130k, should I use a synthetic based oil for the trans/rear diff or can ...

N00b question about trans oil, high mileage wrx

For my 2004 WRX with over 130k, should I use a synthetic based oil for the trans/rear diff or can I use a quality standard 75w-90? Just a normal daily driver no auto-cross or racing...

Thanks in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have similar use patterns to you and I use regular oil that meets the factory spec (Valvoline in my case) based on availability and price.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Extra-S.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have similar use patterns to you and I use regular oil that meets the factory spec (Valvoline in my case) based on availability and price.
    How does our transmission feel? Any notchiness (is that a real word?) I've had the vehicle for only about 3 weeks and have been going thru all of the "normal" maintenance that wasn't done and trying to remedy it. I'd love to use the Extra-S but at $15 a quart it's a bit hard to justify for normal daily driver. If I had a built Stage 3 WRX/Sti then yes it would work but... The Valvoline 80w-90 dino is GL5 rated as required by Subaru, so it should be ok.

Thanks!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    When in doubt, open the owners manual and see what it recommends. Can't go wrong by it.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 68jimmy View Post
    I'd love to use the Extra-S but at $15 a quart it's a bit hard to justify for normal daily driver. If I had a built Stage 3 WRX/Sti then yes it would work but
    lolwut? First of all, it's not that expensive. Secondly, it's probably the BEST gear oil for stock Subaru transmissions. But hey, it's just what the manufacturer produces, what the hell do they know?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 68jimmy View Post
    How does our transmission feel? Any notchiness (is that a real word?)

Thanks!
    It's as notchy, vague, and reluctant to shift into 1st at 145,000 miles as it was the day I bought it with 6 miles. I've used 75W-90 GL5 Valvoline every 30K service. No issues.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.