Problems shifting into 2nd
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Problems shifting into 2nd within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 2012 wrx which I drive daily. I have a few parts on it, but all bolt ...

Problems shifting into 2nd

So I have a 2012 wrx which I drive daily. I have a few parts on it, but all bolt on and properly tuned. I baby the car usually but every now and then I have to let her stretch her legs. A few weeks ago I was sunday driving with a buddy of mine and we got a little too excited. I shifted from 1st to 2nd and heard a clunk and I started to loose RPM on 2nd gear while I still had my foot on the gas. I released the gas pedal, put my foot back on it, and then I started to pick up rpm. ...I brought it to the dealer a few days later and they told me it was a worn tranny mount and they would replace it. I got the car a few days ago with the new mount, it feels alot smoother but the problem shifting from 1st to 2nd is still there. I shift from 1st to 2nd on mid to high rpm and I loose rpm, I let go of gas then get back on it, and I regain speed...any ideas to what's happening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you loose rpm? what do you mean by that?

Is the shift from 1st to 2nd smooth?

.. is shifting from 1st to 2nd ever smooth? haha

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    .. is shifting ever smooth? haha
    Fixored
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Glad it's not just me...been a year and I still don't fair much better....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Fixored
    thank you haha, shifting at anything below 3k, especially 1st to 2nd, is hit or miss. i equate it to eli manning throwing a pass, most of the time he goes all goober face and is way off the mark, but sometimes, sometimes he hits cruz mid stride and you get that excited **** YEAH!! feeling

you loose rpm? what do you mean by that?
    Sorry, lemme be more specific lol. When shifting into 2nd gear (now also into 3rd gear) at anything above 5,000 RPM, The engine speed drops as if something is holding the motor back. I release the gas, get back on it, and it smoothens out. It also happened to me going into 3rd gear, but sounded worst this time. I shifted from 2nd into 3rd at like 5,500 RPM? and when I get into 3rd, the car felt like it about to stall out then the tranny started jerking. If I shift at a lower rpm, like 3,000, the shift is very smooth, anything about 5,000 RPM it feels like the damn tranny is gonna blow up. I know subaru's shift like dump trucks, but I know what normal and what abnormal sounds like lol.

ok so the scenario is you shift from 1st or 2nd at ~5k rpms. and when you shift into 2nd or 3rd and release the clutch the car starts to buck? or it starts to buck when you try to accelerate?

ok so the scenario is you shift from 1st or 2nd at ~5k rpms. and when you shift into 2nd or 3rd and release the clutch the car starts to buck? or it starts to buck when you try to accelerate?
    sounds about right, it starts to buck as soon as i get into 3rd gear

are you just waiting too long to release the clutch? so that the engine speed is actually lower than the driveshaft (not really sure if that's the right term) speed? everyone has off days with their shifting

Yeah it just sounds like poor shifting if you're bucking it like that...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

mem
    Can I tack on a question to this, which is somewhat related.

When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, it is as smooth as butter on my gear box. When i shift from first to 2nd, or back into first (when stopped), I feel like i have to really put muscle into it to get the car into gear. Why is this happening?

Car is brand new (OBP 2014 with ~ 260 miles on it).

I love shifting into 3rd because its so easy. All other gears, not so much. Is this normal? (I might be overreacting - its my first manual car)

Quote Originally Posted by mem View Post
    Can I tack on a question to this, which is somewhat related.

When I shift from 2nd to 3rd, it is as smooth as butter on my gear box. When i shift from first to 2nd, or back into first (when stopped), I feel like i have to really put muscle into it to get the car into gear. Why is this happening?

Car is brand new (OBP 2014 with ~ 260 miles on it).

I love shifting into 3rd because its so easy. All other gears, not so much. Is this normal? (I might be overreacting - its my first manual car)
    Because Subaru.

The 1-2 and 2-1 gate is one of the more difficult shifts I've ever experienced over every manual car I've ever driven, and that's a lot of cars. It's pretty normal in Subarus honestly.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, shifting from 2nd to 1st has never been "easy" on any cars I've driven. 1st gear is really not for driving all that much, it's just to get you going from a stop. And 1st to 2nd took some practice before I could make it smooth on my WRX. Every car is just a little bit different, you just gotta learn what it likes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast