Tranny upgrades for 2003 WRX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tranny upgrades for 2003 WRX? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So right now I'm not looking into making a ton of power in my WRX. It's a ton of fun ...

Tranny upgrades for 2003 WRX?

So right now I'm not looking into making a ton of power in my WRX. It's a ton of fun as is but I will be going stage 2 with it in a matter of 2 months. Finishing the exhaust this month and getting the Accessport the month after then I plan on upgrading my clutch and flywheel at some point as well. I do have the BA transmission in my 03 so I know it's a little stronger than the earlier WRX's but what kind of upgrades would you recommend for the tranny if I decide to get more power out of it down the road. 111,525 miles on it also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    07+ six speed swap.. although it's perhaps not the best decision financially to dump $6000 into a 10 year old car when it's not really needed. But I shouldn't really be one to talk about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    07+ six speed swap.. although it's perhaps not the best decision financially to dump $6000 into a 10 year old car when it's not really needed. But I shouldn't really be one to talk about such things.
    So what would be recommended for lets say in the high 300hp range? Probably won't be doing the swap seeing that I'm going to get an 06 STi in a couple years.

I Support ClubWRX
    I recommend nothing. A full 6 swap will match the cost of the car. A gearset swap likewise. You could replace your existing gearbox with another identical box 2X and still be "even." Watch what you do and hope for the best. I'm not trying to be discouraging, it's honestly what I'd do.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I recommend nothing. A full 6 swap will match the cost of the car. A gearset swap likewise. You could replace your existing gearbox with another identical box 2X and still be "even." Watch what you do and hope for the best. I'm not trying to be discouraging, it's honestly what I'd do.
    Yeah I get what your saying. My friends got an 04 WRX pushing 350hp on the stock tranny and turbo. hasn't had any problems with it yet. I'll probably just end up keeping it around the high 200hp range. Keeping it practical.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you damage the stock transmission with S2 power levels, it's pretty much user error. You either have "too much clutch" (the clutch is rated too high for your torque output) or you're not driving the car properly. Fixing those problems would be my recommendation before buying a better gearset...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you damage the stock transmission with S2 power levels, it's pretty much user error. You either have "too much clutch" (the clutch is rated too high for your torque output) or you're not driving the car properly. Fixing those problems would be my recommendation before buying a better gearset...
    Great thanks man, I'll be keeping that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'll be upgrading to a stage 1 exedy clutch with the exedy light weight fly wheel.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Subarufan123 View Post
    So what would be recommended for lets say in the high 300hp range? Probably won't be doing the swap seeing that I'm going to get an 06 STi in a couple years.
    You plan on buying a (currently) 7 year old car in a few years?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

So what would be recommended for lets say in the high 300hp range?

The OEM transmission should be fine as long as you're not trying to break it. I launched the hell out of my 02 (AA) transmission, with a higher compression 2.5L hybrid build and a vf22 running 23psi.. wayyy more torque than a stage two 2L would ever make, and it was just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You plan on buying a (currently) 7 year old car in a few years?
    yes I am. One of my favorite years for the STi. If I can't find one with low mileage then I'll be looking at an 08 hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The OEM transmission should be fine as long as you're not trying to break it. I launched the hell out of my 02 (AA) transmission, with a higher compression 2.5L hybrid build and a vf22 running 23psi.. wayyy more torque than a stage two 2L would ever make, and it was just fine.
    I pretty much baby the car so I'm not to worried. Even with the tune I probably won't ever drive it to it's full potential. Thanks!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I pretty much baby the car so I'm not to worried. Even with the tune I probably won't ever drive it to it's full potential. Thanks!
    If you baby the car, why are you worried about transmission upgrades?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    If you baby the car, why are you worried about transmission upgrades?
    I should of worded it better. But just making sure if I ever decide to drive it hard then I want it to last and hold up.

What do you use this car for?
    How many cars do you have?

If this is your only car, and you have any financial stress...
    honestly
    be honest with yourself

do you want to spend thirty thousand dollars on an old car?
    40?
    60?

It is possible

and when you are done, you will at best have a $20k car.

We say it here often, "becauseracecar".

It's a car made to celebrate a winning race car.
    That's a fact.

But it isn't that race car.

It's a family sedan with a bit of sport to it, because it's chassis shares that vehicle's geometry in very basic ways.

So unless you can stand the idea of not driving it more often than driving it, and spending countless hours calculating boost cycles and gear inches and clutch weight and pulley diameters, and what restrictor pill to use on your oversized turbocharger, and what fuel pump and injector size... get me?

upgrade things when they break.
    until they break, enjoy the effin life out of that car.
    then get sensible and generally accepted upgrades where they are sensible.
    otherwise you are throwing money into a hole you will never get it out of.

I have a bit of experience with this scenario, ask anyone here.

I want you to be able to love your car AND have a life...lol

welcome to the club.

ps:

a catback exhaust never killed anyone.
    nice, high quality rims are not a crime.
    stereo upgrades are the pilot's choice, no one on any forum has any value in comment on that.
    using top quality service components, ie filters, oil, other fluids... also not a crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast