Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tranny upgrades for 2003 WRX?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Impreza2.0 
#1 ·
So right now I'm not looking into making a ton of power in my WRX. It's a ton of fun as is but I will be going stage 2 with it in a matter of 2 months. Finishing the exhaust this month and getting the Accessport the month after then I plan on upgrading my clutch and flywheel at some point as well. I do have the BA transmission in my 03 so I know it's a little stronger than the earlier WRX's but what kind of upgrades would you recommend for the tranny if I decide to get more power out of it down the road. 111,525 miles on it also.

#4 ·
I recommend nothing. A full 6 swap will match the cost of the car. A gearset swap likewise. You could replace your existing gearbox with another identical box 2X and still be "even." Watch what you do and hope for the best. I'm not trying to be discouraging, it's honestly what I'd do.

#6 ·
If you damage the stock transmission with S2 power levels, it's pretty much user error. You either have "too much clutch" (the clutch is rated too high for your torque output) or you're not driving the car properly. Fixing those problems would be my recommendation before buying a better gearset...

#15 ·
What do you use this car for?
How many cars do you have?

If this is your only car, and you have any financial stress...
honestly
be honest with yourself

do you want to spend thirty thousand dollars on an old car?
40?
60?

It is possible

and when you are done, you will at best have a $20k car.

We say it here often, "becauseracecar".

It's a car made to celebrate a winning race car.
That's a fact.

But it isn't that race car.

It's a family sedan with a bit of sport to it, because it's chassis shares that vehicle's geometry in very basic ways.

So unless you can stand the idea of not driving it more often than driving it, and spending countless hours calculating boost cycles and gear inches and clutch weight and pulley diameters, and what restrictor pill to use on your oversized turbocharger, and what fuel pump and injector size... get me?

upgrade things when they break.
until they break, enjoy the effin life out of that car.
then get sensible and generally accepted upgrades where they are sensible.
otherwise you are throwing money into a hole you will never get it out of.

I have a bit of experience with this scenario, ask anyone here.

I want you to be able to love your car AND have a life...lol

welcome to the club.

ps:

a catback exhaust never killed anyone.
nice, high quality rims are not a crime.
stereo upgrades are the pilot's choice, no one on any forum has any value in comment on that.
using top quality service components, ie filters, oil, other fluids... also not a crime.

#16 ·
Ok, I am already hated for my previous post, but I can see that if you are going to service your clutch, yes a flywheel is not stupid. Just don't go too light. It is a real fact that too light is not a good thing. ACT StreetLight or Exedy Stage 2 is acceptable with the power levels you described, avoid RaceLight, or stage 3 anything.

You won't be any more likely to do in your gearbox than to do in the rear differential, if you can get the whole kit at once for a decent price, and you plan to strip and build out those, it may be worth it if you are as sick as me about keeping at it until the car is actually as capable of it's track bred sister STi. If you do one, the other will eat it. Just thought that bore mentioning it, as I had the personal experience with it that many have had... it is painful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.