smooth heel-toe downshift from 3rd to 2nd?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on smooth heel-toe downshift from 3rd to 2nd? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any tips on how to do a smooth heel-toe downshift from 3rd to 2nd? Situation would be for getting into ...

smooth heel-toe downshift from 3rd to 2nd?

Any tips on how to do a smooth heel-toe downshift from 3rd to 2nd? Situation would be for getting into gear before an upcoming right turn. My WRX shudders when I release the clutch so not sure if I'm timing it right...

What's the ideal mph/blip rpm to release? Do you pop the clutch or slip it a little?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there is no all around best rpm.. thats going to have to do with what speed your going when your shifting into that gear.. i personally use the two sides of my foot instead of the heel and toe, just how i learned to do it..... you gotta play with it to figure out , eventually your figure out by how fast your going, where it needs to be and then you wont need to barely slip it at all. youll be able to feel if its in the right place as soon as you start to let the clutch out...... practice makes permanent....
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

hhhmmm interesting I've never even thought about it. I've been driving a stick for 38 years, just seems instinctive to me. But I'll have to look at my habits.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What works best for me in my car is to stab the gas pedal all the way to the floor and immediately release, basically the same with the clutch. My engine revs quicker than stock, so the faster I complete the gear change the smoother it happens. If I down shift practically as fast as possible it feels pretty dang smooth.

Rev match seems like the most reasonable way.

Rev match. Easiest and very effective

zax
    It just takes practice. It took me about 3 months of continuous practice to master heal-toeing with double-clutched downshifts. Now it's effortless.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Why are you double clutching andheel-toeing? Are you running an aftermarket transmission? The heel-toe should Rev-match you to allow a smooth, fast shift.

thanks for the tips so far! I get nervous letting out the clutch because of that shudder while still braking... Coasting then doing it right after the turn is no problem because I can add gas and smooth it out. It's tougher for me before the turn, esp if it's a downhill slope. I'll try stabbing and letting off faster

Braking and letting the clutch out at the same time is not a good idea...unless I misunderstand you ????
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by freshwipe View Post
    Coasting then doing it right after the turn is no problem because I can add gas and smooth it out.

If you're talking about entering a corner at high speed with the clutch pressed in, you're doing it wrong. Without the engine connected to the wheels you're not "in control" of the vehicle.. I would feel very uncomfortable driving like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Braking and letting the clutch out at the same time is not a good idea...unless I misunderstand you ????

Not sure what you mean.. how else are you going to stay in gear, in the appropriate RPM range for your powerband, while diving into a corner? If the engine is in fact rev matched to the gear you are going into then letting the clutch out should feel perfectly smooth, and if you're needing to decelerate quickly you're going to need to be on the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If you're talking about entering a corner at high speed with the clutch pressed in, you're doing it wrong. Without the engine connected to the wheels you're not "in control" of the vehicle.. I would feel very uncomfortable driving like that.

Not sure what you mean.. how else are you going to stay in gear, in the appropriate RPM range for your powerband, while diving into a corner? If the engine is in fact rev matched to the gear you are going into then letting the clutch out should feel perfectly smooth, and if you're needing to decelerate quickly you're going to need to be on the brakes.
    He's getting shutter which tells me he's breaking and letting out the clutch with no throttle. You just can't break and let out the clutch, you need to rev match like you said ..make sense ??? I'm watching the Red Sox so I may be in coherent.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Quote Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    He's getting shutter which tells me he's breaking and letting out the clutch with no throttle. You just can't break and let out the clutch, you need to rev match like you said ..make sense ??? I'm watching the Red Sox so I may be in coherent.
    Plus that would be braking ... I'm incoherent ... lol.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

sorry, thought it was understood that I'm blipping (rev matching -- or trying to) while braking...isn't that what heel-toe means?

Just having trouble timing the release of the clutch to make it smooth. *this is only from 3rd to 2nd* in my '13 wrx. 5>4 and 4>3 is easier to do smooth
    Last edited by freshwipe; 09-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    Why are you double clutching andheel-toeing? Are you running an aftermarket transmission? The heel-toe should Rev-match you to allow a smooth, fast shift.
    Because race car!!!!!

Its just more fun. Plus since the syncros aren't doing as much work the shifter seems to slide in much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast