2011 wrx gear oil confusion?

This is a discussion on 2011 wrx gear oil confusion? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I have 40,000 kms on my car and I've been looking into changing my gear oil. I have ...

2011 wrx gear oil confusion?

Hi everyone, I have 40,000 kms on my car and I've been looking into changing my gear oil. I have several questions. I've looked on some other threads for info but I haven't found much I find definitive, especially in my climate where it's below zero six months a yr.

My dealership has never heard of Subaru extra s, they sell motul 300, but say it's only good for Sti's, on the Wrx they tell me it's too slippery. Is this odd advice?

Theyre telling me a semi synthetic is best for the 5 speed. I have a sts, with front/rear bushings but in winter it still shifts rough.

Im thinking of just ordering some extra s online and putting it in when I change my oil before this winter. I'm looking for some solid advice from someone else because this same dealership tells me synthetic oil is also not recommended.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SrCain View Post
    Is this odd advice?
    No. Whether it's substantiated is another issue though. I'd tend to avoid Motul base on cost and my positive experiences with regular Valvoline gear oil but the temps where I live rarely fall below 5'.

Im thinking of just ordering some extra s online and putting it in when I change my oil before this winter.
    Will that meet your warranty requirements? These vary from country to country.

I'm looking for some solid advice from someone else because this same dealership tells me synthetic oil is also not recommended.
    I won't use a synth but my climate is different; Extra-S will work but see warranty question above.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I would look at the manual it has different viscosity levels for the appropriate temperature range. As far as synthetic gear oil in my opinion I don't think it can hurt. Synthetics are superior to conventional lubricants in many ways. Certainly better than the factory oil that's in there. The only issue might be that the synchros in the transmission might not have as much "bite" to spin up the gears for proper meshing but you will find much debate on this topic. As long as the viscosity is correct you are fine. But if the gears are slipping in without grinding or binding the sychros are doing their job. I recently switched to Mobil1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90 in the rear diff and transmission and holy mother of God what a difference in shifting. The transmission still feels a little notchy sometimes because it only has 5,000 miles on it and hasn't really broken in yet but the shifting 90% of the time is so much smoother. I immediately noticed a difference when I put it in. I can now actually get into reverse without putting it in neutral and letting out the clutch first and downshifting has seen some improvement. Also our viscous coupling differentials are a sealed unit from what I've read. So you don't have to worry about it harming that. Personally I use everything synthetic unless the manual says explicitly not to... Not that I've ever read that in a car manual before. Hope this helps!
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd call another dealer, Subaru Extra S is real and the only gear oil that will go in my car (This is my opinion. Oil in general is mostly subjective. Technically as long as it matches manufactures recommended standards it should be okay)

You can get Extra-S on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Subaru 75W90 Extra-S Gear & Transmission Fluid - Quart Bottles, K0322AA095: Automotive
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!