front axle rubber boot replacement...

This is a discussion on front axle rubber boot replacement... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have ?'s ...I have an 05 wrx and my front passenger rubber boots that is near my tire has ...

I have ?'s ...I have an 05 wrx and my front passenger rubber boots that is near my tire has a crack in it. I don't know where to order it or if that's considered the inner or outer boot. Its not the boot that's close to the center, its the boots closest to the tire. Should I order the boot or is it cheaper just to order the whole passenger side axle? Thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The only correct definitive answer is "maybe."

See this thread for a summary of dozens of similar discussions. There are links to parts sources too.

Above all do not pay for Subaru grease. Ripoff pricing. The rest is debatable.

CV boot just ripped, replace just boot or whole axle?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It is just tore. But where do I buy a boot from I think its like $399? Anyone have a link for the passenger out side boot closest to the tire...

I Support ClubWRX

As stated buy authentic boots. Everything for an axle is around $70 using all authentic parts EXCEPT as stated the grease. This means a dealer. See other thread for entire axle info if that's what you chose to do instead.

Although gearbox side is "inner" and wheel side is "outer" FYI, in my view the distinction is moot; I'd do both plus the axle nut and I'd even be suspicious of the other side at this age.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So what is the website I should look at I followed the link from the attached forum but I don't find what I'm looking for. Thanks if its almost the same price I will just replace the whole axle. I just need the link thank u!!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    If you need boots and clamps and an axle nut, go to your dealer. You could order from
    https://ssl.autocenter.net/subaruparts/cart/
    but it made no sense in my case so it may not make sense in yours either.

If you need an intact, entire replacement axle, see the other thread. In that thread, post 12, by Mycologist, has the link you need if you want to order an entire axle from MW. In post 16 Mycologist then says to not use the web site anyway; call them.

Check both boots on both sides of the car while you're at it. Usually the turbo side fails first from what I've heard, potentially due to heat. Also usually the passenger side axle is nice and seized on the hub, because of things like sprinklers on the sidewalk side etc. However that's not to say the other side may not be on its way out. I did both sides within months and I should have simply done everything all at once.

When you remove the axle, first mark the alignment of the strut so that you don't lose your camber adjustment and have to get an alignment. The thread I linked to also has links to instructions on how to do everything.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-03-2013 at 10:37 AM.