O6 impreza sport 5sp, diff control?

This is a discussion on O6 impreza sport 5sp, diff control? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 06 impreza sport. Is it even feasible to add a working diff control? If so what all do I need? ...

Question O6 impreza sport 5sp, diff control?

06 impreza sport. Is it even feasible to add a working diff control? If so what all do I need?

2nd Subie
    05forester xt
    06impreza sport

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure its possible ... but the cost would probably make you think about selling the car entirely and just getting an STi.

Assuming it would all bolt up like it does in a WRX, you'd be looking at a complete 6mt swap from an STi, including driveshafts, hubs, diff, and transmission.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Assuming it would all bolt up like it does in a WRX, you'd be looking at a complete 6mt swap from an STi, including driveshafts, hubs, diff, and transmission.
    Even that list isn't complete, as you need an ECU or stand-alone DCCD controller to actually enable diff control. Without a controller, the 6-speed would be locked at a 50-50 torque split, which is fine, but sort of defeats the purpose of the swap, other than getting the STI box.

Here's one example of a stand-alone controller which offerr the OEM DCCD functionality, plus a lot more: DCCDPro Universal Controller [DCCD_Uni] - $395.00 : DCCDPro, Active Center Diff Control!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Even that list isn't complete, as you need an ECU or stand-alone DCCD controller to actually enable diff control. Without a controller, the 6-speed would be locked at a 50-50 torque split, which is fine, but sort of defeats the purpose of the swap, other than getting the STI box.

Here's one example of a stand-alone controller which offerr the OEM DCCD functionality, plus a lot more: DCCDPro Universal Controller [DCCD_Uni] - $395.00 : DCCDPro, Active Center Diff Control!
    That's pretty cool actually. I'm assuming it only works with a system designed to have a driver controlled center diff though?

Sell your car buy an sti, their cheap enough now used and you'll Save more headache than you know
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    Sell your car buy an sti, their cheap enough now used and you'll Save more headache than you know
    Verry true a sti would be about the same price in the long run. I just cant bring myself to buy a sti with 90,000 miles, with the turbo life span that it has, and the timing belt. Clutch if it was owed by a younger guy. And a "sti sport" 5dr would be a more everyday car.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy8546 View Post
    Verry true a sti would be about the same price in the long run. I just cant bring myself to buy a sti with 90,000 miles, with the turbo life span that it has, and the timing belt. Clutch if it was owed by a younger guy. And a "sti sport" 5dr would be a more everyday car.
    Meh. If you're gonna spend 20k+ on a used car, you can spring for a timing belt. As far as mileage goes... my WRX is going strong at 171k, modded and raced monthly. Spend your money how you want, but I wouldn't worry about picking up a well cared for STi with 90k on it.