Transmission and/or Clutch Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Transmission and/or Clutch Problem within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I am new here and, as you guys might expect, made an account for the purpose of this ...

Transmission and/or Clutch Problem

Hello all,

I am new here and, as you guys might expect, made an account for the purpose of this post. I have a 2011 Subaru WRX that I bought used last year. It currently has below 30k miles. The car seemed to be in great mechanical condition at the time, and although I could be wrong, I believe whatever issues I am facing now are due to a recent episode with a poor driver and my car.

Anyway, I had some family over last week. One of the family members (NOT a teenager before you guys jump to conclusions) tried to push my car, which I was fine with. He was riding the clutch pretty hard which wasn't an issue for me because it does take some wear off the tranny. However, he did not rev match between gear shifts and when shifting from third to fourth, he missed the fourth gear and brought it back down to second, which jerked the car pretty hard. He quickly changed gears before any apparent damage was done and did do a final pull back in third gear. There was a burning clutch smell (due to a high rpm launch; he did not dump the clutch).

The next day, the car was driving fine, however I did have some gear grinding between shifts at higher rpms. This grinding occurred initially between third and fourth but later occurred between all other gears infrequently as well.

I decided to take it to the dealership today.

Upon initial check-up they said that the clutch seemed worn out but the mechanic also mentioned that the tranny was "bad". He was very vague and said the labor to take apart the motor/clutch/tranny would be a small fortune. I have warranty but if they find any signs of abuse, they would not cover it obviously. I decided to not get it done and am going to another dealership for a second impression tomorrow. My question is that if the car seems to be driving fine (apart from occasional gear grinding), do I have a blown tranny? Or is it more likely a problem with the clutch and maybe the synchros. I mean can one incident like this, which was not even too bad imho, destroy a tranny? Also, is it worth fighting this out with SOA to get a claim covered if the dealership does not take the claim? The dealer I met today is adamant on replacing the transmission, which I feel he is trying to rip me off since the car is perfectly drivable as of now.

This is really annoying and I made an honest mistake in letting a family member drive the car. I would really like to solve this issue and need some advice from you guys.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is your car stock or modified because that will effect SOA decision?
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Car is bone stock.

I Support ClubWRX
    Have them define in writing "signs of abuse" and if they balk, contact SOA directly and tell them that the dealer is trying to imply you have abused the car and is trying to withhold warranty work.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If that driver really was banging around gears like that, it certainly could be abuse and enough of the same issue over and over can cause problems. 3rd to 4th and 5th gear synchros are easy to mess up. Hopefully your second opinion will be better and they can just take care of the problem for you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Express your concern with SOA, they will contact whatever dealership you go to next (the first or new one) and make sure they are aware of your situation. My experience with a local Subaru service center is they will not warranty items unless its completely obvious that it needs replacement and it is clearly no fault of your own. That may or may not be the policy but that's my take. Keep us posted because I'm curious to find out with will happen.

Thanks for the replies! I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Why you shouldn't power shift (WRX) - Subaru of Hilton Head - YouTube

I am not saying this is what happen to you and hopefully you can get it fixed without paying anything.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would drain the transmission fluid and look for chunks.. it could just be that the syncros are damaged, but to replace the syncros you basically have to rebuild the whole transmission. The gear grinding shouldn't really have anything to do with the clutch, unless it's not disengaging all the way when you put the pedal to the floor.

I am running into a similar issue. I too have a used 2011 WRX, and everything has been great this past year, but my clutch has begun to slip in 5th gear. I have an appointment on monday to have a tech come for a ride along to show them the slip. The service manager says that it isn't a common issue, but google seems to say otherwise.

My car is 100% stock, and still has 10k left on the bumper to bumper, so I am hoping that the limited wear warranty covers the replacement. So, I am rooting for ya and hope you can get the car taken car of. Good luck my friend!
    '11 WRX DGM

Hey everyone!

Went to another dealership and they replaced the transmission under the warranty. Great guys. Cheers!

This is why second opinions are always a good idea. Some dealerships are real *******s, others are great.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Whoa! You're getting a new trans? Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Zitro View Post
    This is why second opinions are always a good idea. Some dealerships are real *******s, others are great.
    Very true. Some don't ever want to bother with that kind of stuff.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.