Bad Day of Shifting in my 2013 WRX

This is a discussion on Bad Day of Shifting in my 2013 WRX within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well today I had a pretty bad day driving my new wrx. It currently has about 800 miles and is ...

Bad Day of Shifting in my 2013 WRX

Well today I had a pretty bad day driving my new wrx. It currently has about 800 miles and is a 2013 model. 1st problem - hard stall from a stoplight... I was talking to my passenger and didn't seem to give it enough gas... A fairly prominent jerk forward and engine lights flash. 2nd problem (and most worrisome) - cruising to a stop in front of my garage, I accidentally shift from 1st to neutral before pulling in the clutch... I was not on the gas and was at about 3mph cruising to a stop. It did make a weird clunk noise as it shifted to neutral but nothing after that... Did I just mess up my car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Totaled!

...it's fine. Going from a gear to neutral without the clutch isn't a good practice... but it's not gonna hurt anything anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yeah your car is fried. That's the thing about manual transmissions...you miss just ONCE, and it's done for. Your looking at thousands for repairs.

/trollololol

You're fine. Just pay more attention. Imagine if above was the case though? NOBODY and their mothers would even try driving a standard.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah your car is fried. That's the thing about manual transmissions...you miss just ONCE, and it's done for. Your looking at thousands for repairs.

/trollololol

You're fine. Just pay more attention. Imagine if above was the case though? NOBODY and their mothers would even try driving a standard.
    I don't know what you're talking about. My mother and I both drive standard transmissions erryday flawlessly.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Your Good. Best way to ruin a clutch is riding it, or dumping it. Of course not using the clutch when shifting hurts too... lol (grind). But sounds like you haven't done anything anyone here hasn't at one time. I've stalled my share over 38 years.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I still stall just because I'm not really paying attention. And there is nothing to worry about going from 1st to neutral without the clutch. That will only happen in a certain rev range where forces cancel out and the clutch isn't needed. This happens in my car around 1.5k RPM

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    STU 17
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #117
    WATCH THIS