Clutch wouldnt hold on dyno :(

This is a discussion on Clutch wouldnt hold on dyno :( within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car is an 03 WRX. Well did my hybrid build and during the dyno the clutch started to slip. ...

Clutch wouldnt hold on dyno :(

My car is an 03 WRX. Well did my hybrid build and during the dyno the clutch started to slip. The current clutch has roughly 110,000 miles on it. So its tuned currently at 240 hp 280 tq. So to get the 310 hp and 310 tq I need to install a clutch. Which is where im torn between options and want to see what people have done. Now i don't know if the clutch and or pressure plate was worn due to age and wear and tear or it just couldnt handle the torque. Or it could be a combination of both. Would ya'll recommend I do the OE Exedy clutch and pressure plate and save the gears in my transmission. Or do a stage 2 clutch and pressure plate (south bend, act, or competition) and possibly blow out the gear(s) in the transmission.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

id go with the OE Exedy Stage 1 and a new lightweight flywheel
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    If you made 110,000 miles on the stock clutch you were doing good. They are known to slip at higher power levels, hell mind did when it was new-ish. There is a DIY with good info in my sig line.

Essentially Exedy Stage 1 and stock flywheel is what I would and did go with.

Light weight flywheels are known to throw CEL's, and create horrific flywheel/pressure plate noise. The noise is harmless, but unbelievably annoying. Search youtube to see what im on about.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    *Looks at avatar*

Well with all that weight on the front end, no wonder your clutch blew...

As stated, 110k is a good lifespan for a stock clutch. Some on here have nursed theirs longer, but mine conked out at 95k with stock power levels, so don't feel too bad. Your thoughts on the Stage II clutch are valid. I agree with your preference to have the clutch the weakest link in the drivetrain. Clutches are far cheaper to replace than transmissions.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hybrid build... of the engine? You rebuilt the engine, but didn't bother replacing an old and worn clutch while you were in there? Strange.

And as already stated, go with the Exedy stage 1 kit. There's no reason to have anything beyond that at this point.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm an ACT fan. Get the organic full face disk. Used to be a "stage" something. But now it's the "performance street". I used to have the extreme tension super street (XTSS) and it was an awesome clutch. As a full face organic, it was holding 450wtq just fine.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!