center diff / viscous thing

This is a discussion on center diff / viscous thing within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok 03 wrx 5sp mt. my center diff/ viscous coupler is tripping out if i just ride around town its ...

center diff / viscous thing

ok 03 wrx 5sp mt. my center diff/ viscous coupler is tripping out if i just ride around town its fine but say i hit the freeway for about 15-20 mins it'll start binding up on sharp turns like parking lot/space turns. when it is cool it runs calm and smooth ,but once i it gets freeway for a few(17 miles bout 20mins or so next town over at freeway speeds)it starts binding and popping when i turn at lights or parking spaces or driveways till it cools for a while. example i get in the car and start to drive to my friends house the next town over starts out smooth i get on the freeway still smooth exit and take my first turn after exiting and it pops and binds almost like its running a spool or a locker. if after i get to his house we chill in shop and piddle with some car junk for a couple of hours and i start driving home its smooth again. if i get to his house and we leave directly after i get there to go pick up a part or something it will keep binding up every corner till i let is sit and cool off. if it is binding and i go to a smooth parking lot and turn lock to lock and just idle around in a circle it will chirp the tires as it makes its circle.
    so i think i have found a wrx 5speed trans that has teeth missing off of second gear but has a good viscous coupler. I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to rebuild the tranny with the blown second gear or to just pull the coupler and put it into my current trans? the guy wants 100 bucks for the blown tranny? what do the gurus think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would swap the differential out, that would be much easier and quicker.

Then I would make sure to have your tires rotated every 5000 miles and regularly check their tread depth to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I would swap the differential out, that would be much easier and quicker.

Then I would make sure to have your tires rotated every 5000 miles and regularly check their tread depth to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    +1

Check your tires now. Are any of them drastically different tread depths? It would suck to fix the diff only to have it happen to another because the wheels/tires aren't all close enough diameters!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Yea when I first got the car it had diff rims and size tires they were 1cm difference in height but it was only that way for a few days or about 30 miles it has new tires same size and brand all around now

^ How long was it "that way" BEFORE you got the car?! And yes, that could easily have damaged the viscous fluid right there. Once cooked - it's done...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Yea... that'll do it.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Does anybody know the "margin of error" for the Subaru awd system when it relates to tread wear? It must have some amount of "forgiveness." I understand changing flat tires in pairs etc is common practice, but what about the regular people who are not enthusiasts who don't check their tread wear or who don't get an alignment unless the car is pulling? It just seems like there's too little margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Does anybody know the "margin of error" for the Subaru awd system when it relates to tread wear? It must have some amount of "forgiveness." I understand changing flat tires in pairs etc is common practice, but what about the regular people who are not enthusiasts who don't check their tread wear or who don't get an alignment unless the car is pulling? It just seems like there's too little margin for error.

I forget Subaru's recommendation, I think it's something like 2/32s within eachother. And no changing flat tires in pairs is NOT common practice. If you get a flat tire you MUST change all four at once. It's not so much about checking tread wear as it is following routine maintenance of rotating your tires every oil change. When I got my bugeye this meant you were supposed to rotate the tires every 3000 miles. So even if the fronts are wearing faster, in a month or so those tires will be on the rear, and vise verse.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I meant changing in sets lol. But the 2/32s was what I was after. I've read several threads on this and they all say different things.

I was kinda worried about that I was hoping that there was a lil bit of leeway on the tire diff cause 1cm isn't a lot but if there supposed to be within 2/32 of depth of each other than yea that's over the threshold. Well guess coupler gets ripped out this weekend.

It IS that tight... And 1 cm is just a bit less than 1/2" (about 13/32 ? )
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?