New to WRX/Shift Points
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to WRX/Shift Points within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About 300 miles on my '13 WRX now and just barely above 20mpg. As most of you I'm sure, I ...

New to WRX/Shift Points

About 300 miles on my '13 WRX now and just barely above 20mpg. As most of you I'm sure, I did not get this car for the mileage but wouldn't mind getting a little bit more.

Coming from a 6-speed Toyota Matrix with the 2zz under the hood (rev-limiter near 8300rpm, lift engaged at 6700) I'm new to this 'low rpm' motor. Still in the break in period, I am not shifting above 4k but find it hard; can't really even go WOT in 1st, barely in 2nd, and 3rd I can WOT a bit. I read some of you, to maximize fuel mileage, are shifting as low as 2k--mind-blowing! Maybe I'm just not used to having the TQ and HP of this vehicle so it's hard to wrap my head around shifting that low. Even at WOT though, 2k won't really have any turbo spool, where's the fun in that?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hello and welcome.

The fun is in owning a WRX itself and being the few and the proud! lol

Shift below 2k and your MPG will increase. Do the WOT and you will see MPG decrease. Obviously street mileage will get you worse MPG, however shifting and not WOTTING every shift will increase your MPG for sure.

The fun is also not worrying about your MPG when on the WOT You should also feel the fun in turns. The other night I received 30.6MPG with a duration of a 60 mile drive on the FWY. Its possible!

I shift around 1700k, I get some vibration towards the rear panel however it doesn't bug me much because I'm firing my music up sorta loud with windows down to hear my exhaust! No complaints here mate.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Guys who are maximizing mileage are not out to have fun, they are out to maximize mileage. Your car is going to be completely different once you can wring it out to redline.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    For any normal driving there's no need to rev past 3k or press the gas hard enough to spool the turbo. I have no problem driving around all day, city and highway, without ever getting into boost.

If you're racing (on a track), then you probably don't care much about fuel economy.

I shift around 2500 with normal driving, and accept my low mileage (though most of my driving is very much city driving). I'd hesitate to shift real low on a regular basis, if you are bogging the car down or feeling vibrations you are likely putting the engine into high load. Just like how you don't want to floor it in 5th at 2k rpms, you don't want to bog the engine down at low speeds all the time.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

what they all said. if you wana drive like a grandma, you can probably get 28ish using the total miles driven/gallons fueled up technique. driving normal i average around like 26. get through the break through and enjoy the car. and don't drive like a douche like mainframe said

I'm just turning 2800 miles on my 13 WRX, getting ready for my 3k oil change. My best is 27 mpg thus far. This week 24.9. I track long on B which is 23.5 over the course of 2000 mi mix of city/highway. I like shifting at 2500 to 3000. With 2500 pretty much average for me. I'll spool her up a bit more after my oil change
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

oh, by the way the trip logs A & B only last for 10,000 miles then they tick over to zero.

Hey Zataks i just got a new 13 wrx a few weeks ago with only 10 miles on the odometer. I admit i have gone over 4k rpm but not on the daily. Im currently sitting around 500 miles. Ive gone WOT a bunch of times already lol even pulled on a camaro SS uphill!!! lol least to say i was WOT in 1st to 3rd haha. I enjoy my car but dont go too crazy.. at least not yet hope this helps re assure you that you dont have to grandma your car and you can have a little bit of fun! Also switched out my cbe to invidia q300 at 400+ miles.

My 13 WRX is a freak show. If I baby it, I get a lower average MPG, around 18. If I stomp on it racing through traffic, I get ~21. I just have an AEM CAI and Torqued Performance map. It seems my car (or these cars) eat a little gas more when they're not boosting and prefer the extra air coming in. Kind of dangerous that I'm rewarded with better mileage if I speed

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    Hey Zataks i just got a new 13 wrx a few weeks ago with only 10 miles on the odometer. I admit i have gone over 4k rpm but not on the daily. Im currently sitting around 500 miles. Ive gone WOT a bunch of times already lol even pulled on a camaro SS uphill!!! lol least to say i was WOT in 1st to 3rd haha. I enjoy my car but dont go too crazy.. at least not yet hope this helps re assure you that you dont have to grandma your car and you can have a little bit of fun! Also switched out my cbe to invidia q300 at 400+ miles.
    Note to OP: this is not recommended, nor should it be taken as a proper break in technique. Subaru manuals for the WRX/STi explicitly say do not go over 4k RPMs and do not race the engine or got WOT before 1000k. There are reasons for this. There are several members on here that can verify that when they did not follow this procedure and they have needed new engines or engine rebuilds within 10K miles. Pulling uphill against a Camaro is HIGHLY not recommended before 1000k miles. Babying your car for that long is a small price to pay for engine longevity.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Note to OP: this is not recommended, nor should it be taken as a proper break in technique. Subaru manuals for the WRX/STi explicitly say do not go over 4k RPMs and do not race the engine or got WOT before 1000k. There are reasons for this. There are several members on here that can verify that when they did not follow this procedure and they have needed new engines or engine rebuilds within 10K miles. Pulling uphill against a Camaro is HIGHLY not recommended before 1000k miles. Babying your car for that long is a small price to pay for engine longevity.
    I approve of this message. The many people that have blown their piston rings are nearly guaranteed to be people that didn't break in their engine. Revving up your freshly built engine to redline is a sure way to ruin your rings/pistons. It's also not good to simply coast along at 3k RPM throughout your entire break-in though. I'd say one good sprint to 5k every hundred miles or so is a good practice. Not only do you need to smoothly get your pistons "used to" that high of a rev, but your transmission clutch, and other parts also need to break in. Babying your engine for the first 1,000 miles or even 10,000 miles will mean that when you do step on it through redline, your pistons are just then being introduced for the first time to such high revving. A smooth acceleration to higher revs (I say start at 500 miles) won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    For any normal driving there's no need to rev past 3k or press the gas hard enough to spool the turbo. I have no problem driving around all day, city and highway, without ever getting into boost.

me ^
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I just wanna get the break in oil out of there before I really start rowing.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Thanks for the input and warnings. Upon getting home with the new WRX I read the manual and fully intend on following guidelines regarding breaking in the motor.
    As far as enjoying the car on turns, I certainly do already. Freeway on-ramps have been a joy and tomorrow will be a ride on Highway 17 in Santa Cruz in the AM then either Skyline Blvd. or Highway 1 N of SC in the afternoon.
    Eagerly awaiting opening this baby up though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast