New to WRX/Shift Points - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to WRX/Shift Points within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I wish there was a way for us to record our throttle position sensor's output and show a statistical sampling ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I wish there was a way for us to record our throttle position sensor's output and show a statistical sampling of it here, for comparison. I guess it would be good to know how much is city mileage, as well.

I remain convinced that good EJ20/EJ25 mileage has more to do with how far down you're pushing the pedal, than with RPMs. In an engine with a decent-sized aftermarket turbo/bigger injectors/pump/tune, daily romps up and down freeway onramps or open roads after a turn, I still get 23-24mpg, even though I shift over 3000 rpms, almost 100% of the time. I'm easy on the throttle from stoplight to stoplight, because there's no point, and I cruise on the highway to work at about 68-69mph. I got high 20's when I was stock/near-stock.

But then, I seem to be fairly good at wringing out good mileage, for some reason. Except with VQ engines. Not much I could do with that one.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I remain convinced that good EJ20/EJ25 mileage has more to do with how far down you're pushing the pedal, than with RPMs.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

For what it's worth, you can record throttle opening angle in a log.. I've done it before for a hand full of drives around town just for my own curiosity. Never really used to data for a real comparison though.

If I'm trying to minimize fuel consumption there are two gauges I watch.. boost, to judge my accelerator position and "keep my foot out of it". And WBO2 to avoid open loop fueling. I'm convinced this is the main factor when considering RPM range. If you figure out all the circumstances that kick you in to open loop fueling and keep it around 13:1 - 14.7:1 at all times then you can't be using that much fuel.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I was shocked at how low you can shift in these cars... The beast arrived just in time to drive it to work last night and I've been aiming for 2k-3k rpms. I havn't heard the turbo kick in yet. Unless my music's turned up too loud to hear the boost. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I was shocked at how low you can shift in these cars... The beast arrived just in time to drive it to work last night and I've been aiming for 2k-3k rpms. I havn't heard the turbo kick in yet. Unless my music's turned up too loud to hear the boost. :-/
    With a stock car, you probably won't hear much of the turbo. But you will feel it.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

you shouldnt be going WOT until its broken in anyways. 1000 miles wont take long. its worth the wait to know the motor was properly broken in
    2013 wrx sedan-SOLD(awaiting 2015/16 Mustang)

2005 Mustang GT
    Racecar! Borla Stingers, Pypes x-pipe, Airaid Intake, FR Lowering Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax
    Previous faist cars: '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaston View Post
    I have a 2004 impreza with the ej20 my block is beyond repairs in goin to replace motor with the 2.5 sti swap does anyone know if that motor will bolt to my 5speed tranny

Please stop creating multiple threads on a topic, and hijacking other thread with it too. I'm going to merge these all.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    oh, by the way the trip logs A & B only last for 10,000 miles then they tick over to zero.
    I was wondering when it would tick over haha my other car used to tick over at 3k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12