clutch
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on clutch within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is there any harm in driving with a clutch until it dies(other than ending up with no clutch obviously)?...

clutch

is there any harm in driving with a clutch until it dies(other than ending up with no clutch obviously)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most people will replace the clutch once it starts to slip really badly, as the car is not as drivable. Not too sure what you are really asking, but most people don't replace their clutch until it "dies," which might mean different things to different people. Of course, if you are planning an extremely high power build you might put a stronger clutch in there before the stock clutch goes. If you wait too long though, you might find yourself stranded.

What is going on with your clutch? Is it slipping, or is the engagement point changing dramatically? If it is the engagement point, it could just be that your clutch fluid is low...If it is slipping, then different story. One way to tell is to put your car in 5th gear (while going maybe 25-30MPH), and then floor the pedal. If the car doesn't accelerate smoothly, then your clutch is slipping. (another common symptom is if you are in say 3rd gear, downshift to 2nd, and let out the clutch slowly...if the rpms don't go up immediately, the clutch is going).

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would say the most harm is that it's dangerous. If your clutch is slipping badly you have greatly increased risk of being struck by an on comming car when you attempt to pull into the roadway and your car will no longer move.

Drove mine till i could go thru all 5 gears without moving. Only downside is cleaning the nasty, black, burned clutch material out the bell housing.

Drive until it starts to slip. Then get parts and replace. There is no use in driving until it just won't go anymore, you'll get only a very few (maybe no more than 100) extra miles out of it. Also ALWAYS replace throw-out bearing while at it. For testing slip, I'd recommend a speed where the engine runs about 3.5 - 4 K RpM, in the highest gear possible, then hit the gas. If it holds the clutch is good. If you do this at 2k you may not have slippage due to the torque not being there... Then it really doesn't tell you anything.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    The clutch in my daily driver first started to slip some time in early 2009. I've been driving the car routinely ever since.

It's not only saved me lots of money but also taught me valuable skills -- Jackie Stewart said "light is right" I think. Light on the controls, think ahead, etc.

Granted, I've only driven the car with a slipping clutch for four years so I don't know how much longer it'll last, and at some point the car may become immobile. So far, so good though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

zax
    Spiro, if you don't mind me asking: at what mileage did the clutch on your car start slipping?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    This is on a Toyota, to be clear. The first clutch started slipping around 140,000 miles and I replaced it at around 160,000 miles. The second clutch, the one still in the car, started slipping around 250,000 miles and the car now has 280,000 miles.

The clutch in my Subaru does not slip. However, the dealer replaced my clutch assembly and flywheel at my request under warranty at 30,000 miles, so the "new" clutch only has 110,000 miles on it. I'll be disappointed if the Subaru clutch starts slipping before it gets to, say, 150,000 miles. Although it's common to think of turbo cars as a demanding application, there is little torque out of high boost so most of the rpm range in most gears and in my case most of the time is under low torque. In that sense I'd expect more life out of a WRX clutch than a RS clutch.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^ What torque load are you putting on the Toyota clutch (i.e. what torque does that engine have left ;-) ?
    And I don't mean that negatively, not'in wrong with making a clutch last, I hope I can get a decent life span out of mine.

I'd think the WRX is meant to GO, and a slipping clutch wouldn't be very helpful there...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In that sense I'd expect more life out of a WRX clutch than a RS clutch.
    I agree.

I'm still on the OEM clutch at 108k miles of vehicle life (68k miles of ownership), though my transmission must endure about 1.8x the stock horsepower and 100 ft-lbs over stock. The clutch has yet to slip.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    ^ What torque load are you putting on the Toyota clutch (i.e. what torque does that engine have left ;-) ?
    Well, that's a valid question. Of the original 195 Nm specified when new, the car now produces roughly 0. This really helps clutch longevity.

its definitely slipping. i just wanted to make sure im not damaging other parts

I Support ClubWRX
    What year is your car?

On the 06-07 model years, it was more common for the pressure plate to give out, leaving you with "light switch" engagement. Sure you could make it slip in higher gears when at stage 2 under load when the clutch had little mileage on it, but more commonly your engagement zone went to 0, making it very hard to drive.

When that happened I replaced mine.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    What year is your car?

On the 06-07 model years, it was more common for the pressure plate to give out, leaving you with "light switch" engagement. Sure you could make it slip in higher gears when at stage 2 under load when the clutch had little mileage on it, but more commonly your engagement zone went to 0, making it very hard to drive.

When that happened I replaced mine.
    its an 06 wrx. what do you mean when you say the engagement zone went to 0?

I Support ClubWRX
    I mean it was either engaged or disengaged. When letting the clutch out to get moving there was no friction zone. There's a DIY with pics in my sig line.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.