Gears grinding - 5 and 6 (02STI)

This is a discussion on Gears grinding - 5 and 6 (02STI) within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I am going decently fast...or at about 3-4000 revs - if im changing into 4th or 5th the gear ...

Gears grinding - 5 and 6 (02STI)

When I am going decently fast...or at about 3-4000 revs - if im changing into 4th or 5th the gear will grind (up or down into gear). Some people that i've spoken to agree that my synchro's may be ****ed...but they don't agree on a price. Some say 10g some say 2g.

If anyone can help me out, if u know something else that may be causing this grinding, or know how much this is going to cost me - please comment! I am not too stressed about it as long as its just a synchro and not actually affecting my engine/parts in any way.

Thanks
    when love of power... overcomes the power of STi, the world will see peace

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like worn out syncros to me. I haven't checked exchange rates recently, but you could buy a whole new transmission for around $4k USDM.. the syncros themselves aren't that expensive, but there's a good deal of labor involved in replacing them. Your best bet would be to find a reputable Subaru transmission shop and ask how much they would charge. Maybe contact Tony Rigoli Performance, I'm sure they would know where to get a Subaru transmission rebuilt in AU..