Smooth shifting

This is a discussion on Smooth shifting within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The other day I had a chance to drive a STI for the first time I was impressed. One thing ...

Smooth shifting

The other day I had a chance to drive a STI for the first time I was impressed. One thing I noticed compared to my WRX is that shifting was so much smoother. I have a short throw shifter I'm assuming a spt one from the factory or is there a different sts besides the spt one? If I changed to a different shifter all together plus bushings will it be a smoother shift or did I just hit the gesrs on the STI just right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If its from the factory, you probably have the SPT short throw. The STI might have also been equipped with the SPT STS and bushings. I installed the Kartboy STS and bushings recently and they make a big difference as the stock bushings are quite flexible. The rear bushing install was a royal PITA but I'm glad I did it now. The shifter is much more precise. If you do a search, I'm sure you can find pics of the stock bushings as compared to an aftermarket set. Best of luck in your decision.

Here's a pic as a matter of fact. Easy to see why the aftermarket bushings are so much better.

duplicate

Shifter bushings, group-n trans mount, front cross member bushings........good day sir, I said good day!

yes! i went with different bushings on a older wagon, but same result!

was there any increase in noise, after the install/

Quote Originally Posted by ProZach626 View Post
    was there any increase in noise, after the install/
    Yes, there is increased NVH but nothing too bad. I'd like to do the group-N trans mount next as well.

These transmissions in the 3g's whine anyway, the added NVH is not much and besides, you should do Extra-S dif fluid when you change it out and that will help offset the added NVH from all the bushings.

IMO, the added NVH is HIGHLY outweighed by the more intimate and connected feel in the shifting created by the bushings and trans-mount upgrades.

Thanks for all the help. I think I will be ordering a kartboy and bushings firstand see how that goes
    Thank you again