Just Installed Kartboy SS and Front/Rear Bushings...Grinding Noise Being Heard Now
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just Installed Kartboy SS and Front/Rear Bushings...Grinding Noise Being Heard Now within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone! First and foremost, let me tell you what I was working with: Completely stock 2012 WRB WRX Limited ...

Just Installed Kartboy SS and Front/Rear Bushings...Grinding Noise Being Heard Now

Hello everyone!

First and foremost, let me tell you what I was working with:

Completely stock 2012 WRB WRX Limited

As the title of the thread states, I just installed a Kartboy short throw shifter and front/rear bushings this weekend. The install went fine - everything seemed to fit well. I noticed right away the difference the short throw makes with every gear change. I especially like the stiffness it it has with both front and rear bushings installed versus the factory setup.

HOWEVER...

Herein lies the problem. When I'm in any given gear past 3k RPMs and let off the gas to decelerate, I hear what can be described as a grinding-like noise coming from underneath the car. The noise is most noticeable in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. It only occurs while letting off of the gas. I have the day off Wednesday, so I'm going to put it up on ramps again and check it out.

But at the moment, I'm somewhat concerned as I don't want to destroy my baby. So I would greatly appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine does the same thing, in 2nd mostly.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe an obvious question. But did you torque the heatshield back in place?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Maybe an obvious question. But did you torque the heatshield back in place?
    Nothing too serious, but I probably tightened it more than it had been from the factory. Do you think that could cause the issue?

I Support ClubWRX
    Its possible. But just know that what you are experiencing is a pretty common issue with WRXs. And most have concluded that it is pretty normal.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Its possible. But just know that what you are experiencing is a pretty common issue with WRXs. And most have concluded that it is pretty normal.
    I appreciate your help. It just never happened before installing the short throw and bushings, so that's why I was initially concerned. But I'll take a look at the heatshield and try playing around with it and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again!

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    Sounds like I won't be getting shifter bushings..

rubber bushings are used because they isolate noise and vibration. you've now replaced those soft rubber bushings with hard urethane which does the opposite and transmits noise and vibration. the sound and feeling of the gears is normal. you will get used to it.

personally, a group-n transmission mount is the best investment you can make along with a short shifter. again though, you will get more noise and vibration but it doesn't mean something is wrong.

last month thread but i've been driving my 3 week old WRX and noticed the noise the OP described and i'm completely stock, it seems that the sound is normal and the OP noticed it more because of the aftermarket bushings, for this reason i'm planning to use an SPT/STI rear bushing and the kartboy front bushings when I do my shifter upgrades that seems to keep noise lower from what i've read.

Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    last month thread but i've been driving my 3 week old WRX and noticed the noise the OP described and i'm completely stock, it seems that the sound is normal and the OP noticed it more because of the aftermarket bushings, for this reason i'm planning to use an SPT/STI rear bushing and the kartboy front bushings when I do my shifter upgrades that seems to keep noise lower from what i've read.
    I also noticed this noise when stock. Than I installed positive shift/pitchstop/shifter bushings/group n/cobb short throw. and the noise and definitely gotten more noticeable. It sounds terrible to me. I am going to get under the car today and make sure everything is torqued to spec.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.