Kartboy Short throw shifter, still have play?

This is a discussion on Kartboy Short throw shifter, still have play? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok after doing the karboy short throw shifter and all the bushings (front and rear) i still have play when ...

Kartboy Short throw shifter, still have play?

ok after doing the karboy short throw shifter and all the bushings (front and rear) i still have play when its in 3rd and 4th gear. (meaning i can move the knob about 3/4 inch freely while its in gear..... other than that i love it... anyone else have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's normal. Get a Group N Trans Mount. It reduces a lot of slop.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Group N trans mount and some front crossmember bushings (aka positive shift kit). That and what you've already done should really tighten up the whole feel of the shifting quite nicely. Very easy installs too.

GL with it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Some engine mounts help as well, FWIW. I'd plan on doing them with a front sway bar or something along those lines. I went with GroupN, as most people do. I'd probably go to a harder bushing next time, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

When you say you did all bushings, were you talking about just the front and rear shift bushings?

If you haven't already, I'd look into doing the shift linkage bushings.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Turn...-STI-2006-2011

These are designed to remove side to side play. You can also do the shift pivot bushing that goes in the shift lever if you haven't already.

Correct I did front and back bushings

Quote Originally Posted by 2013WRX_USMC View Post
    Correct I did front and back bushings
    From what I've read, the linkage bushings make the biggest difference in side to side play.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGoalie View Post
    When you say you did all bushings, were you talking about just the front and rear shift bushings?

If you haven't already, I'd look into doing the shift linkage bushings.

Turn In Concepts Shift Linkage Bushings Subaru WRX / STI 2006-2013 SLB-06-SUB at RallySportDirect.com

These are designed to remove side to side play. You can also do the shift pivot bushing that goes in the shift lever if you haven't already.
    Have any of you guys actually ordered these? They are the biggest waste. They are just plastic/urethane bushings and allow just as much flex as the stockers which are also plastic.

The slight side to side play is simply part of the inherint design of a remote mount shifter.

I have all 4 sets of bushings installed. Front/Rear/Shifter Linkage/Pivot. It is much improved, but there is some play, most notably 1,3,5. You may notice there are all on the "Top" of the WRX shift pattern. I have put in many hours of thought into why this is. My old Mazda was also a 5 speed with a STS, much like my WRX, and it also had play IN THOSE SAME GEARS! I think it has something do with being a 5 speed and the design of the transmission itself. It would be awesome if someone with the answers could speak up.