02 WRX Rhythmic Dragging Scuffing Noise Front Passenger Tire When Turning While Hot
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Rhythmic Dragging Scuffing Noise Front Passenger Tire When Turning While Hot within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I already dropped 0 on bearings and bushings without fixing this problem so any help would be greatly appreciated. (I ...

02 WRX Rhythmic Dragging Scuffing Noise Front Passenger Tire When Turning While Hot

I already dropped $900 on bearings and bushings without fixing this problem so any help would be greatly appreciated. (I am such an idiot for taking it to Goodyear.)

My 02 WRX, only 86,000 miles, makes a rhythmic dragging, scuffing noise from the front passenger tire when I am turning slowly. I usually notice it when I am turning into a parking space. And I don't notice it when I am leaving the house, but only when I arrive and park somewhere so it seems to be an issue only when hot.

Tires are fairly new and in excellent shape. Axles have been replaced within the last 2 years or so and the boots look fine. I get regular oil changes and maintenance from the dealer, but I always wonder whether they actually check and top off other fluids.

I have seen some information that suggests that the AWD transfer case is likely the problem. But that's a pricey fix that I don't want to pay for just to find out its not the problem. Any ideas on how to confirm the problem? Could changing the tranny fluid actually fix the problem as I have seen suggested elsewhere?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure your tire isn't rubbing on the fender liner?

Does the sound get louder with brake pressure (brake pads rest against the rotors and may make noise)?
    David - '05 WRX

It didn't sound like brakes and I am usually going slow when I hear so that I don't apply the brakes much, but I will give that a try.

It also sounds like the tire dragging on the ground because its not moving the same speed as the other tire. but I will examine the fender liner to be sure (if it were on the driver side I would be sure it wasn't the fender liner because that one recently flew off the car at 80mph on the highway and scared me half to death!).

I guess I better check the tranny fluid level to be sure since I haven't checked it recently (and after my last oil change from the dealer I was able to fix a new oil leak by tightening the oil filter which they left so loose I was able to tighten it by hand, so now that I think about it, the odds that they checked the transmission fluid are pretty slim.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 15percenter View Post
    (if it were on the driver side I would be sure it wasn't the fender liner because that one recently flew off the car at 80mph on the highway and scared me half to death!).
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I just put my second quart of gear oil into the transmission and it seems like it just hit the bottom of the dipstick. Is there any other explanation for that other than the dealer drained it and never filled it up again? If I lost more than 2 quarts of transmission fluid I think I would have noticed a leak on the floor of my garage. UFB.

Off to the auto parts store for another quart! If I hit 3.7, I'll flip.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Ohhh... that's pretty bad.

It just sucked down the third quart. Still not full.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Ohhh... that's pretty bad.
    I remember bringing the car back to the dealer after some repairs because of a sound that was similar to when the axles go bad. It was metallic clicking sounds, and they had recently replaced the axles so I thought maybe one was defective. They told me they couldn't hear any noise and that the axles were fine so I figured the new ones just sounded different than the old ones I was used to. I mostly use this car for short trips so I guess it survived for a while because it didn't get very hot. Call me crazy, but running a transmission without oil seems like a bad idea.

I'd say the dealer owes me a new transmission. Another quart and I will know for sure. Its been over a year though so I bet they will blame me somehow, as if I "burned" through the oil, or didn't notice a gallon of transmission fluid leaking out of my car.

I figured I was heading for 3.7 quarts and checked at about 3.4. Still not full. I went for 3.5 maybe 3.6 and checked again and now its filled too much. Ugh. But it was pretty damn close to empty. I'd hate to see what kind of metal shavings are at the bottom, not to mention that it sounds like the tire noise is because the transfer case is fried. I can't believe the thing lasted as long as it did. Time to start collecting my service receipts to make sure they were supposed to have replaced it and check it.

I feel like an idiot for not having checked the fluid sooner, but seriously, how often does anyone actually do that with a manual transmission that shows no sign of leaking. And most oil changes include checking and filling all the fluids, don't they?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.