Vibration and Noise Starting out in 1st gear

This is a discussion on Vibration and Noise Starting out in 1st gear within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone, I'm new to the WRX world and new to the forum, I have done some searches on this. ...

Vibration and Noise Starting out in 1st gear

Hello everyone, I'm new to the WRX world and new to the forum, I have done some searches on this. When I start out in 1st gear I get a vibration and noise like a banging coming out from what feels like the driveshaft hump. It only happens when starting out in 1st and no other gear and not while downshifting. If I feather the clutch and play with the gas I can almost get it to go away. I went under the car and shook the heck out of everything I could think of. Nothing seems loose almost like a broken motor mount but I can feel that banging on hump. Please help. 2003 WRX.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is it happening every time you put on 1st gear or just happens on start up and goes away?

my guess its the driver. used to happen to me a ton but then i figured it out. it mostly does it when its cold. i can either feather it out to get it rolling and then get off the clutch or i can just burn the clutch like crazy to pull away smooth.. i choose to lightly feather most of the time, unless when its still cold pulling out when there are cars behind me and i cant just putt putt and take my time. but yea my guess would be seat time to upgrade the driver mod. im still working on it....then will be getting a new clutch soon so have to figure it out again -__-
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

sounds like the clutch might be chattering. could be time for a new clutch. a broken motor mount you would feel while accelerating and putting a load on the engine

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    sounds like the clutch might be chattering. could be time for a new clutch. a broken motor mount you would feel while accelerating and putting a load on the engine
    Just started happening and no, not under load or any other gear, sounds like the drive shaft is out of round and hitting the floor and once you pick up a bit of speed it goes away. you can feather the clutch and make it not happen. Again, it is just as you start out.

been my girlfriends car since 2003 and it has never happened before so it's not the driver. Does seem like a motor mount, should there be any play in the mount under the intercooler? Mine has slop in it where it attaches to the engine, up and down play, not much but it's there.

motor mounts move. youll feel them when theyre bad when youre accelerating on the highway. itll feel like a wheel balance issue

Iit feels like a balance issue in the shaft like it is spinning out of round and hitting the floor but again, only when first starting out in 1st gear and only until you hit about 1500 rpm, no other gear and not at any other speed. and as far as the mount I mean slop in the bolt area like the bushing is going bad.

possible tranny mount? worst case chattering clutch but I don't think its as likely.
    check under te car for excessive play in your mounts and bushings