04 WRX Transmission concerns

This is a discussion on 04 WRX Transmission concerns within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a 2004 Subaru WRX with about 124k miles on it with a newer clutch w/ around 19k ...

04 WRX Transmission concerns

So I have a 2004 Subaru WRX with about 124k miles on it with a newer clutch w/ around 19k miles on it. (timing belts were changed to)

I'm just gonna list a few gripes/problems/concerns I have with this 5 speed Manual of mine.

1. (sometimes not often) when pulling out, the clutch pedal, transmission, ... EVERYTHING shakes and makes a loud chattery noise, kinda like the clutch is a bit too grabby. I've noticed this happen in stop and go traffic when the clutch is warmer? I've been practicing A LOT lately to see if it's maybe human error lol, I've been able to offset the problem with A. Giving her more gas when pulling out (around 1.7k to 2k RPMs) and slowly letting out the clutch or B. letting the clutch out to the point where it grabs and then proceeding to pulling out with the balance between Gas and Clutch.

2. When costing to a stop I put the clutch in and I've noticed I can't put the shifter into 1st gear unless going slower than 10 MPH without forcing the shifter into 1st gear. Like when slowly costing down my drive way I hit around 10ish MPH but can't put the car in 1st unless I literally force it in (I can't put it in 2nd or else I'll bog the S*** out of my engine lol... uphill). I'm not sure if this is a STUPID safety feature so that you don't over rev your engine, if so... Subaru you're dumb for making a safety feature of anytime the car is >10mph, the driver can't put the car in first gear. Or maybe the synchronizers are going bad? unsure... But it's annoying. That's for sure lol

3. Grinding noise? When driving on this farm road on the way home from work, I was in 5th moving at around 50mph, I was in the mood to see this car pull, so I put the clutch in and went from 5th to 3rd and *Grind* I instantly put the clutch back in and was like WTF?! Now this seems like there's a problem with the synchronizers no? After this I wiggled the shifter in neutral and tried putting it back into 3rd and she went fine... shift to 4th at 6k RPMs was smooth and then from 4th to 5th at around 6k was smooth as well. Not sure what was up?

4. I just recently invested in some Shifter bushing and I changed my Transmission fluid. When changing my fluid I noticed the fluid looking like dirty gray and around the magnetic bolt, there was a considerable amount of metal shards (looked like black dirt). Not sure if this is normal...

Again bare in mind this car has 124k miles on it, the previous owner had it at stage 2 (stripped it before selling it) So we can ALL safely assume this car was hard launched and has probably seen some ruff miles.

Here she is
    Last edited by MisterNBG; 05-14-2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: deleted unrelated text

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1. Get used to your car and you wont have the shudder problem.
    2. That's by design.
    3. You missed your shift.
    4. Probably just wear and tear.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

3. Not sure how I missed my shift, also what was the grinding noise coming from? It didn't sound like metal teeth destroying each other, it sounded harmless, like a warning, was it a safety feature as well as #2?
    4. Something to worry about?

-Thanks Drews

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    3. Not sure how I missed my shift, also what was the grinding noise coming from? It didn't sound like metal teeth destroying each other, it sounded harmless, like a warning, was it a safety feature as well as #2?
    4. Something to worry about?

-Thanks Drews
    You probably didn't have the clutch fully disengaged. Trust me, it happens to me sometimes too. And I've been driving a manual for 13 years. I wouldn't worry about the flakes, my wifes car was like that too.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    You probably didn't have the clutch fully disengaged. Trust me, it happens to me sometimes too. And I've been driving a manual for 13 years. I wouldn't worry about the flakes, my wifes car was like that too.
    K, Thanks

My 2 cents.

1) Clutch shudder is a well known problem with original clutches. Live with it till you replace it.

2) Change the fluid. Use Extra-S, or Uncle Scotty's cocktail and you will be amazed that your transmission actually works right. If I rev match I can get into first near 30 mph (not recommended though).
    Change the fluid more often than the manual says. These are the ONLY fluids I would use in a 5 speed.
    This is the most important point here!!!

3) See number 2.
    The fluid may not help this though.

4) Bushings are fine. Learn to shift smoothly. DON'T EVER FORCE IT INTO GEAR! EVER!!!!! Learn to rev match (look it up if you don't know how). Also see number 2.