Anyone normally drive with traction control off?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Anyone normally drive with traction control off? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any benefits to driving with the traction control off on a regular basis? For the last year I would normally ...

I Support ClubWRX

Anyone normally drive with traction control off?

Any benefits to driving with the traction control off on a regular basis? For the last year I would normally drive with it on, and occasionally turn it off for spirt driving. Lately I turn I've been turning traction control off every time I get in the car. I dont really notice that much of a difference, maybe better acceleration out of turns. Any inputs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There is no difference until you hit slick pavement. If one or more wheels start to slip the car will work to limit the slippage. On normal dry pavement, you will never likely notice it. Even in my car, tuned to almost 300 hp to teh wheels, I can launch hard and the car does not break traction much. When the TC does engage it's not bad. Some cars knock down power big time but the Subie pulls just enough power to restore traction and quickly going back to full power. I can;t think of any reason to turn it off in normal driving and it will flash if it engages.

I felt my traction control kick in yesterday actually, I was taking a turn coming off of the highway and I got on the gas a little too soon during the turn, felt the left front wheel braking and the traction control correcting for the understeer.

This was on an empty intersection with clear views on all sides with no visible cars, at 4:30 AM on my way home from work and I stayed in my lane the entire time, by the way. Far too old at 26 to do that with any cars in the area.
    PA-C

Feels pretty nice when it kicks in during cornering. I was taking a corner on an on ramp onto another highway at 55-60. I'll just let you know this on ramp is pretty sharp too. It just feels really good when you feel the car gripping the road.

I always turn my traction control off when I'm going to accellerate hard (whether a car pulling up beside me or my favorite red light where the speed limit is 50 MPH). If I don't the traction control light comes on, and I feel it kick in, when shifting from 1st to 2nd. There's nothing worse than racing someone and having your brakes "kick in" - in between shifts.

The only other time I like to turn it off is in the winter in fresh snow. I feel that I have better control.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I have no control in snow with the traction off. Unless I'm purposely trying to get sideways. Ive done a 360 with the traction off

I usually drive around with TC on. Not bothered to turn it off. Only twice in show on a really large and empty parking lot, the first time I managed to get the car spinning on the spot, front going left, rear going right. T'was awesome!! I figure that on-the-road, if I need TC, I'm going way to fast anyways. If I'm accelerating thru sand or stuff, TC actually helps. It may cut the top of the performance off, but there's still plenty there. Anyone that keeps up is not in my way and considered a friend. And I'm not road-racing, at least until you and I both get to the school zone...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I've been driving more gravel roads lately and have been playing around with TC. I notice unlike previous cars ive driven the TC on the WRX doesnt last nearly as long and seems to be lighter in its application of braking/deceleration. I'm only starting to really push some of the 90s, but i dont see it as being necessary to have off, at least for how i drive..yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I have no control in snow with the traction off. Unless I'm purposely trying to get sideways. Ive done a 360 with the traction off
    WTF, are you using summer tires or something?

Leave it on when you are in public proximity! You simply can't avoid crashes better manually than you can with your TC on............. unless you're a professional driver and even then I bet they'd have their's on.

Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    WTF, are you using summer tires or something?
    And agreed...were you on summer tires or bald ones like A265 asked? With all season and TC on the car's a freaking snowmobile. My summers may as well be track slicks in the snow but, with TC off and all seasons on the car .....it's throttle steer time. Honestly my wife makes fun of me because I go out late night after it snows with the TC off and drift the car through the neighborhood...respectfully of course.

This is how you need to learn to drive a car; TC off on track, dirt, or snow with throttle steering and clutch/brake work for your sliding and recoveries. If you learn the limits in a safe environment and with TC off, you will be one of the safest drivers in an actual avoidance/emergency situation on the road with you TC on!

Cheers

Whats traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Whats traction control?
    That's just some more of the newfangled stuff they invented to justify higher prices and have more sh!t to repair (and bill for)...

yes actually lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Whats traction control?
    Yes, what is this traction control being typed about?

I know full well what it is. My 2004 has no such nanny.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Yes, what is this traction control being hyped about?

I know full well what it is. My 2004 has no such nanny.
    Fixored.... Really, it still doesn't allow to cheat physics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast