Firewall welds breaking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Firewall welds breaking within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've looked and didn't see any write ups or anything on this site. This I believe only involves 08+ and ...

Firewall welds breaking

I've looked and didn't see any write ups or anything on this site.
    This I believe only involves 08+ and for all imprezas, wrx, and sti. Basically what's happening if you already don't know is the firewall welds keeping our clutch brackets in place are rusting and breaking and causing creaking and popping noises whenever you depress and release your clutch pedal. It's all over wrxforums and haven't seen it here at all so I'm giving you all a little insight on it with some help on fixing this, resolving this, and helping push a recall through hopefully.

Here's a simple fix I found thanks to one of the guys on the other forum.
    Clutch squeak fix without taking the whole dash apart (nut/bolt style)

And here is a little bit more info on it including a video and some guys from coleman law or whatever trying to get people to file their case numbers and what-not
    Major Manufacturing Defect.

Hope this helps and gives some people insight if they haven't known already

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

2 Squeaks?

So I checked today and I have at least one weld broken under the wiper area. I had my girlfriend push in the clutch to verify the weld is moving, and while she was doing so I heard a second squeak that sounds like it's coming from the center of the engine (engine is off and it's not the throw out bearing whistling noise). Is this the same issue? or could this be something else wrong with my clutch? My car has 55k miles so still under powertrain, and the dealership did tell me if I reflash my ECU back to stock they can look at it (I'm at stage 2), but they didn't say anything about my TBE. I would have to pay to diagnose, and if they determine it is broken welds "maybe" SOA would cover it. I was going to go to Cobb Surgeline and have them fix my firewall (with nuts and bolts) but now I'm thinking maybe I need to go to Subaru. The second squeak really worries me because I have no clue if they would cover clutch issues at 55k. I have an aftermarket stereo and boost guage, and I just know they are going to screw it up if they pull my whole dash. Any advice out there?
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I am going through this right now. My 09 has 57k on it and the firewall welds were snapped. I am COBB Accessport stage 2 with a number of other assorted mods. I got in touch with SOA first. They told me to contact a dealer and after the dealer inspected the car they would speak to the dealership.

Dealer has the car now and is fixing the welds. I got a free loaner and SOA is covering the repair 100% My car is due back Monday.

I don't know why the dealer is even looking at your ECU, my dealer said nothing about it. I doubt they even tried to read it.

I documented the process in the second page of this NASIOC thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    I am going through this right now. My 09 has 57k on it and the firewall welds were snapped. I am COBB Accessport stage 2 with a number of other assorted mods. I got in touch with SOA first. They told me to contact a dealer and after the dealer inspected the car they would speak to the dealership.

Dealer has the car now and is fixing the welds. I got a free loaner and SOA is covering the repair 100% My car is due back Monday.

I don't know why the dealer is even looking at your ECU, my dealer said nothing about it. I doubt they even tried to read it.

I documented the process in the second page of this NASIOC thread
    Mine got quiet after the cold started setting in. Also since I started shifting a little higher in the rpm range and rev matching its gone, but regardless the broken welds are still there.

So all you did was call SOA, brought it to the dealer to have inspected, and have that dealer contact SOA?

I contacted SOA through the Subaru website. There is a form you can fill out and one of the options is vehicle problem. They e-mailed me back and asked me to bring it to a dealer and let them know when my appointment at the dealer was and what dealer I was using.

I dropped my car off and advised the dealership SOA was involved and that SOA would call after the dealer inspected and confirmed the issue.

SOA advised me that the dealership had confirmed the snapped welds and SOA would get back to me with their offer. After a few days SOA e-mailed me back letting me know:

"You should have received a call from Mike at Flemington Subaru by now to advise you that Subaru is covering this service 100% as a Goodwill gesture. You will not need to pay for this service upfront and be reimbursed. It is all worked out between Flemington Subaru and Subaru of America, Inc. "

Is this an issue only on WRX's? or would the same issue be evident on STI's as well?

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Is this an issue only on WRX's? or would the same issue be evident on STI's as well?
    Check out this thread

Looks like people have reported it on 2.5i, WRX, and STi models

Cool

I contacted SOA through the Subaru website. There is a form you can fill out and one of the options is vehicle problem. They e-mailed me back and asked me to bring it to a dealer and let them know when my appointment at the dealer was and what dealer I was using.

I dropped my car off and advised the dealership SOA was involved and that SOA would call after the dealer inspected and confirmed the issue.

SOA advised me that the dealership had confirmed the snapped welds and SOA would get back to me with their offer. After a few days SOA e-mailed me back letting me know:

"You should have received a call from Mike at Flemington Subaru by now to advise you that Subaru is covering this service 100% as a Goodwill gesture. You will not need to pay for this service upfront and be reimbursed. It is all worked out between Flemington Subaru and Subaru of America, Inc. "

This is very encouraging...I just made my appt to drop my car off in a few days. I'm just going to flash it back to stock in the parking lot when I drop it off. Not sure if Subaru makes them check the ECU or what. As long as they don't boost it, there shouldn't be a CEL. Fingers crossed!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:

Got the car back yesterday. Firewall is all fixed. Dealership called Monday and said that the clutch felt hard to press and that the throwout bearing is loud which was true, but I bought the car new like that and just assumed that my clutch was a bit more difficult to depress than most. Turns out my pressure plate was "binding" They replaced the clutch for free as well (disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing no flywheel).

Can't complain, they totally could have blamed the clutch on mods. They had to take out my catless DP, process west, pitch stop, and group n tranny mount out to change it

oh wow, that sounds awesome and pretty easy then. I'm going to give this a try once my schedule clears up a bit
    my clutch is also a bit hard to depress but im also the third owner and the car has been modded before me, so I just assume it's a staged clutch...although it grabs pretty low.
    and the throwout bearing is known to be pretty loud for some reason, especially in the cold

Thumbs up

Got the car back yesterday. Firewall is all fixed. Dealership called Monday and said that the clutch felt hard to press and that the throwout bearing is loud which was true, but I bought the car new like that and just assumed that my clutch was a bit more difficult to depress than most. Turns out my pressure plate was "binding" They replaced the clutch for free as well (disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing no flywheel).

Can't complain, they totally could have blamed the clutch on mods. They had to take out my catless DP, process west, pitch stop, and group n tranny mount out to change it
    That's awesome! So I dropped off my car the other day to have them check out the issue. They called me about 6 hours later and said they couldn't find the problem, and they would need to bill me for additional hours to check the linkage. I explained to them it's not the linkage, but I have broken welds. They asked how I diagnosed that, and I told them they have to look under the wiper blades. They asked me to show them what I was talking about. So I went down there with a printed out picture of a broken weld I took over the weekend, and explained how I was able to see it. They asked to keep the car untill the next day and they would give me a 2014 Forester loaner.

The service manager called me yesterday, and asked if I had an aftermarket clutch. I told him "no, just exhaust mods." He said that my clutch needed more force then normal and that's why he asked. He said they are going to blame the broken welds on my pressure plate being stiff, and they are going to replace my pressure plate and reweld the firewall . I'm assuming they still need to get authorization from Subaru, but it sounded like they are going to be able to get it covered under warranty. So needless to say I'm very happy, I really glad that they are standing behind their product. I was really worried!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    That's awesome! So I dropped off my car the other day to have them check out the issue. They called me about 6 hours later and said they couldn't find the problem, and they would need to bill me for additional hours to check the linkage. I explained to them it's not the linkage, but I have broken welds. They asked how I diagnosed that, and I told them they have to look under the wiper blades. They asked me to show them what I was talking about. So I went down there with a printed out picture of a broken weld I took over the weekend, and explained how I was able to see it. They asked to keep the car untill the next day and they would give me a 2014 Forester loaner.

The service manager called me yesterday, and asked if I had an aftermarket clutch. I told him "no, just exhaust mods." He said that my clutch needed more force then normal and that's why he asked. He said they are going to blame the broken welds on my pressure plate being stiff, and they are going to replace my pressure plate and reweld the firewall . I'm assuming they still need to get authorization from Subaru, but it sounded like they are going to be able to get it covered under warranty. So needless to say I'm very happy, I really glad that they are standing behind their product. I was really worried!
    Awesome! Sounds like you are getting more or less the same treatment as me. I didn't get confirmation that it would be covered until the dealer had confirmed the problem and talked again with SOA. They had my car for 9 days I believe, so get comfortable with that Forester.

It's been 2 weeks since I dropped it off. So originally when they told me they were going to fix it, I asked if they reinforce it as well so it won't happen again, and they said yes. They called me last week saying that Subaru won't cover reinforcing it, and they will only fix my one broken weld. And they were already "pushing it" having them cover this, since I'm so far out of warranty. They asked if I would be willing to pay to have it reinforced at the body shop, for $150 - $200. I told them YES...They called 2 days ago saying that they got the car back, firewall repaired and reinforced, and they are going to start putting it back together. Hopefully will get it today. This Forester is nice, but it's a SLUG...I like my girlfriends 2014 Forester XT MUCH better...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

Awesome! Sounds like you are getting more or less the same treatment as me. I didn't get confirmation that it would be covered until the dealer had confirmed the problem and talked again with SOA. They had my car for 9 days I believe, so get comfortable with that Forester.
    So I got my car back the other day, and looks like I did get the same treatment as you. I thought they were just going to replace the pressure plate... But they replaced my ENTIRE clutch, disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, seals, gaskets, EVERYTHING! I about did a cartwheel out the door. Car feels better then new! Clutch is so smooth and light, and my stereo and boost guage still work, really happy. My brakes even feel better, I'm assuming since the firewall isn't flexing anymore when I push the pedal. The only thing they didn't have was the bill from the body shop for the extra reinforcing they did on the firewall. So I'm still waiting to pay for that, but well worth it. I was really worried, but they went above and beyond to take care of me. Now I know why I bought 3 subaru's, and will be buying a 4th eventually...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:

Previous rides:

I just picked up my 2014 WRX, and I haven't had any issues, but I have been reading about this problem for a while on the forums.

Does anyone have any photos that they took of the broken welds before having it repaired? (Point of reference so I would know what I'm looking at and exactly where to check)

Are there warning signs or indicators that would tip you off that welds have broken or that there is a failure imminent?

Glad most of you guys have had the issue taken care of by SOA. Hopefully they continue to honor their warranties and provide good service to their loyal customers. Good service goes a long way these days considering most companies don't seem to care about their customers so long as they already have their money.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast