Firewall welds breaking - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

This is a discussion on Firewall welds breaking within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Nayrb37 I just picked up my 2014 WRX, and I haven't had any issues, but I have ...

  1. #16
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayrb37 View Post
    I just picked up my 2014 WRX, and I haven't had any issues, but I have been reading about this problem for a while on the forums.

    Does anyone have any photos that they took of the broken welds before having it repaired? (Point of reference so I would know what I'm looking at and exactly where to check)

    Are there warning signs or indicators that would tip you off that welds have broken or that there is a failure imminent?

    Glad most of you guys have had the issue taken care of by SOA. Hopefully they continue to honor their warranties and provide good service to their loyal customers. Good service goes a long way these days considering most companies don't seem to care about their customers so long as they already have their money.

    Look at the first post in this thread, there is a link that says "Major Manufacturing Defect", that will show you everything you need to know. As far as I know they haven't done anything to correct the issue, so someday you might get the "creak of death" too... Good luck!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Nayrb37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Look at the first post in this thread, there is a link that says "Major Manufacturing Defect", that will show you everything you need to know. As far as I know they haven't done anything to correct the issue, so someday you might get the "creak of death" too... Good luck!
    Thank you very much! I should have clicked the link first, but since I'm not currently having the issue I didn't even think to look at the lawsuit link.

    I hope I don't ever run into this issue, or some type of a recall is put out before anything develops.
    2014 Subaru WRX WRB Stage 1
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1.618

    Previous Vehicles: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i; 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra; 1998 Audi A4 1.8T; 1995 Ford Mustang
    A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jeremy Clarkson

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Elkins Park, PA
    Posts
    117
    this is good stuff, i'm glad i found this thread. I really think this is my problem. I have the death creak, and it tough to get it in gear. I'm gonna look at lunch to see if this is my problem, but i'm almost sure it has to be after reading all the stuff about the class action suit being filed against subaru regarding this issue.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

  5. #19
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by 08wrx331 View Post
    this is good stuff, i'm glad i found this thread. I really think this is my problem. I have the death creak, and it tough to get it in gear. I'm gonna look at lunch to see if this is my problem, but i'm almost sure it has to be after reading all the stuff about the class action suit being filed against subaru regarding this issue.
    Looks like you have the same setup I do being stage II, and hopefully your dealership will turn a blind eye like mine did. Yeah it does suck, but as long as your cool about it, and explain to them that you know it's a defect... And it has nothing to do with mods, you should be fine. You might even get a new clutch out of it like I did. And they never got back to me about paying extra to reinforce the firewall, so I'm really happy. Actually, I even put together a little gift basket of treats for the service guys for taking such good care of me.

    Let us know how it goes.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Elkins Park, PA
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Looks like you have the same setup I do being stage II, and hopefully your dealership will turn a blind eye like mine did. Yeah it does suck, but as long as your cool about it, and explain to them that you know it's a defect... And it has nothing to do with mods, you should be fine. You might even get a new clutch out of it like I did. And they never got back to me about paying extra to reinforce the firewall, so I'm really happy. Let us know how it goes.
    I won't be taking mine to a dealership. I'll just deal with it myself, I'm just hoping to find the problem finally. And I'm hoping this is it, because I'd rather fix this than replace the clutch, which is what I thought the problem was.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Elkins Park, PA
    Posts
    117
    Wellll....I feel stupid, but I think i fixed the problem. There was a bolt that holds the upper side of the pedal assembly on, and it was somehow backed nearly all the way out, which let the whole thing flex. Can't believe i drove it this long how it was. Now the clutch engagement is right in the middle of the stroke and its not hard to do. I'll have to relearn how to drive, now that the engagement point is different, but that's OK. Glad I figured it out. For now at least.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Looks like you have the same setup I do being stage II, and hopefully your dealership will turn a blind eye like mine did. Yeah it does suck, but as long as your cool about it, and explain to them that you know it's a defect... And it has nothing to do with mods, you should be fine. You might even get a new clutch out of it like I did. And they never got back to me about paying extra to reinforce the firewall, so I'm really happy. Actually, I even put together a little gift basket of treats for the service guys for taking such good care of me.

    Let us know how it goes.

    I just took my car to the dealership, they wanted me to shell out $1500 to pull out the tranny and look at the clutch. I told this was a known issue, lawsuit, defect - nothing. Said that was the next logical step in diagnosing. I told them I'm calling SOA, which I did, and SOA said they will contact the dealer to talk about next steps. I really hope this works, I'm at 65K stage 2 with an aftermarket clutch. Nothing would make me happier than SOA doing what's right and fixing this defect. Will update with progress. 2009 WRX, 5spd.

  9. #23
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus8 View Post
    I just took my car to the dealership, they wanted me to shell out $1500 to pull out the tranny and look at the clutch. I told this was a known issue, lawsuit, defect - nothing. Said that was the next logical step in diagnosing. I told them I'm calling SOA, which I did, and SOA said they will contact the dealer to talk about next steps. I really hope this works, I'm at 65K stage 2 with an aftermarket clutch. Nothing would make me happier than SOA doing what's right and fixing this defect. Will update with progress. 2009 WRX, 5spd.
    Having an aftermarket clutch might make it very difficult for SOA to cover it, since usually it takes more force to engage then a stocker. They will probably say that's what broke your firewall. But I know I have seen others get there's covered even with an aftermarket clutch, and but they then installed a new stock one.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Having an aftermarket clutch might make it very difficult for SOA to cover it, since usually it takes more force to engage then a stocker. They will probably say that's what broke your firewall. But I know I have seen others get there's covered even with an aftermarket clutch, and but they then installed a new stock one.
    At this point I'll be happy with what I can get. If that means they have to replace my car with the stock clutch again, whatever. It's not ideal but then again I might be getting ready to sell this puppy anyways.

  11. #25
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus8 View Post
    At this point I'll be happy with what I can get. If that means they have to replace my car with the stock clutch again, whatever. It's not ideal but then again I might be getting ready to sell this puppy anyways.
    So it sounds like they don't even believe you have a broken firewall. Did you actually verify you have broken welds yourself? ie checking under the cowl under the wiper blades? That's what I did and I showed them pics of the broken welds. At that point they knew the issue was the firewall, and they quickly got me a loaner car. Maybe you'll get lucky, but the first thing the service manager asked me if I had an aftermarket clutch. And since I didn't he blamed the broken firewall on a bad stock clutch, and that's how I got mine fixed. The trick is, to get the dealership on your side and have them contact SOA. But might be tough your case. Good luck! Post back what happens.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    So it sounds like they don't even believe you have a broken firewall. Did you actually verify you have broken welds yourself? ie checking under the cowl under the wiper blades? That's what I did and I showed them pics of the broken welds. At that point they knew the issue was the firewall, and they quickly got me a loaner car. Maybe you'll get lucky, but the first thing the service manager asked me if I had an aftermarket clutch. And since I didn't he blamed the broken firewall on a bad stock clutch, and that's how I got mine fixed. The trick is, to get the dealership on your side and have them contact SOA. But might be tough your case. Good luck! Post back what happens.
    Well they did verify the firewall was flexing but only after they told me the welds were fine (which I know they weren't) and I told him to take a closer look at the flexing firewall. He then admitted that the firewall was indeed flexing and then wanted me to cough up the $1500 to rip out the tranny and look at the clutch. After a long (and somewhat heated) discussion I told him I didn't want to do that, and simply wanted him to fix the flexing firewall. He said that is not the next step in the process and I said that's fine, I'll call SOA to take it from there. So I guess you could say the dealer isn't 100% on my side because I fought pretty hard to not do the tranny inspection, but when I spoke to SOA about the "known" issue he said he would look into it and what the cost would be. That was two days ago, haven't heard back from SOA yet. Should I call SOA (or the dealer) for progress? I know this has to be somewhat tactical to make sure they goodwill it for you. Open to advice on next steps

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    SOA called and said the sent a rep down to the dealership to confirm what the mechanic was recommending. The guy agreed that the next step should be to remove the tranny and inspect the clutch. SOA also told me that the only possibility of goodwill would be having a diagnostic that the welds are faulty and not related to the clutch (regardless of the fact it's aftermarket). Suggested I go to another dealer to get a second opinion and if they confirm it's a faulty weld, to call them back and he can then help.

  14. #28
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus8 View Post
    SOA called and said the sent a rep down to the dealership to confirm what the mechanic was recommending. The guy agreed that the next step should be to remove the tranny and inspect the clutch. SOA also told me that the only possibility of goodwill would be having a diagnostic that the welds are faulty and not related to the clutch (regardless of the fact it's aftermarket). Suggested I go to another dealer to get a second opinion and if they confirm it's a faulty weld, to call them back and he can then help.
    Dude that's crazy! They want to inspect your clutch to see if your firewall is broken? That's insane, maybe they should inspect your exhaust too! I would go to another dealership with pics in hand of your broken firewall welds. It only took a me about 20 min to remove the wipers, the cowl, and take the pics. I had someone push my clutch so I could see the welds moving in and out.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Just tow'd my car to a different dealer and spoke with the service manager on the phone before sending. Looking more optimistic (he was well aware of the known issue). Will update on what happens.

  16. #30
    Registered User jamie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Aloha, OR
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus8 View Post
    Just tow'd my car to a different dealer and spoke with the service manager on the phone before sending. Looking more optimistic (he was well aware of the known issue). Will update on what happens.
    Oh wow! Didn't realize yours was that bad, my car was still driveable, just was creaking hella loud and my left leg was getting hella buff pushing the damn pedal! Sounds like you're in better hands now, hopefully you'll get a loaner like I did. Good luck!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

    Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •