someone PLEASE tell me this isn't a very very bad sign...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on someone PLEASE tell me this isn't a very very bad sign... within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last night me and my buddy decided, its a nice night lets go cruise down to my beach house ...

someone PLEASE tell me this isn't a very very bad sign...

So last night me and my buddy decided, its a nice night lets go cruise down to my beach house in the Subi and I'd show him all the destruction down there (on the Barrier Island). So we leave and about 35-40 min after we left we are cruising down the parkway, and this Dodge Neon pulls up next to us with what looked like auto-x number on his back window and his hat backward and slanted ever-so slightly to the left. I crack a smirk, at the same time this kid locks eyes with me as if I was the first piece of food he's seen in weeks. He slams his breaks, and jerks his car from the slow lane into the middle lane, about 6 inches off my bumper. In this scenario, I do what I always do. Get in the other lane, let him get window to window with me, slow down about 5 mph, if they slow down, you baited them. This is where you honk 3 times, and watch them look like an idiot as they take off and you remain comfortably at the speed limit laughing.

The problem!:
    When I downshifted to 5th to bait him in, my gear sounded like it was grinding. Not while it was in gear, just as I pushed the shifter from 4th into 5th I felt a little grind. I tryed to re-create this and I believe that it happens when RPM's are above 2-3k. when I accelerate in 4th, clutch in then let the rpm's drop to idle, then I push into 5th I get no grind. HELP PLEASE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just sounds to me like you had a sloppy shift. This can happen between any gear change, but is most likely between 2nd/3rd, and 4th/5th...reason being that you have to shift up, right, then up (or vice-versa). The gear wasn't engaged when you let off the clutch, so it did grind it a little. I've done it a few times in my old pickup and my WRX. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to happen regularly. Then you might want to take it to a mechanic and have them check it out to make sure the gears aren't damaged.
    Last edited by D's WRX; 05-05-2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Agree with the above poster, sounds like a whoopsie on a gear change. It happens. The car is probably ok, unless the noise keeps on happening.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What gear oil are you using? Have you checked the level (unlikely to be low though).
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    What gear oil are you using? Have you checked the level (unlikely to be low though).
    I only do the oil changes, and now since I learned at intern I'll be doing my brakes from now on, however I didn't do the gear oil. Maybe I'll read up on how to, then drain and refill it with what I want. Even if it isn't time for new oil, I prefer to know whats in my car and be sure its the right amount.

Sounds like just a sloppy shift. I changed my gear oil this past weekend and honestly didn't notice much of any difference. Replaced the transmission and rear diff with subaru extra-s. I only have 6500 miles on the car. I know I was nowhere near due or required to change the fluids, but I wanted to. Probably the reason I didn't notice much of a difference but I figured it would be an "upgrade" from what the car comes with from the factory.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    I only do the oil changes, and now since I learned at intern I'll be doing my brakes from now on, however I didn't do the gear oil. Maybe I'll read up on how to, then drain and refill it with what I want. Even if it isn't time for new oil, I prefer to know whats in my car and be sure its the right amount.

Some people have issues with the synchros when they try to use some synthetics. Use Subaru extra-S or just get some straight conventional Valvoline.

Always double clutch. No matter whether you need it to or not, save your synchros man. If your shifter doesn't want to slide it, let the clutch off once and then push it back in. My WRX does the same thing. Changing your differential and gear oil is a great thing to do. But if you are at less than 20K not really a point.

I Support ClubWRX
    Double clutching won't hurt anything, for sure, but it isn't for everyone and should not be required on any modern passenger car.

I don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Double clutching won't hurt anything, for sure, but it isn't for everyone and should not be required on any modern passenger car.

I don't do it.
    Exactly, I'd prefer to not have to worry about HAVING to double clutch, especially in my weekend warrior.

You don't have to double clutch...sounds like you just shifted faster than the syncro could handle, which honestly, I've done it myself a million times. I'm sure its fine.

And best gear oil you could use on an STI is the Subaru Extra S.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You don't have to double clutch...sounds like you just shifted faster than the syncro could handle, which honestly, I've done it myself a million times. I'm sure its fine.

And best gear oil you could use on an STI is the Subaru Extra S.
    Mikie, stop posting in Mike's threads. You're confuzzling me.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Okay, this is scaring me. I drove the car yesterday. I went from exit 172-165 on the parkway, and back to go to a store. I did do more shifting then usual just to sort of 'check out' the issue. Shifting up, doesn't happen so much, but definitely does occur. Shifting down from 6th to 5th, now this is the issue. It happens 8 out of 10 times. (not exact, but nearly every time) I asked the tech I intern with, and although hes not specialized in Subaru, he said basically if it wasn't a mishap, and there is an issue, its a syncro and the tans will need to be rebuilt. Is this so? And what will a trans build cost me?!

with the clutch fully in it should slide in with no grinding and does it grind then not go in? or a quick grind then slides in?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    with the clutch fully in it should slide in with no grinding and does it grind then not go in? or a quick grind then slides in?
    clutch held solid against the floor, I shift out of 6th and through the 'middle section' (inbetween 5th and 6th) as soon as the shifter gets like a few millimeters down the 5th gear 'channel' it gives me a nice buzz/grind, then pops into 5th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast