Shifter bushings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shifter bushings within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I am eyeing some new shifter bushings...I have the factory short throw shifter (2011 STI), but I notice a ...

I Support ClubWRX

Shifter bushings

So I am eyeing some new shifter bushings...I have the factory short throw shifter (2011 STI), but I notice a little bit of slop. I have read time and time again by you folks that you feel these to be a worthwhile mod. For $60-$70 I figure why not. I am looking at the Kartboy and the COBB front and rear bushing (figure why not do both if I am going to be getting down in there). Any opinions on which might be better than the other? They are both about the same price and I know they are both popular and reputable companies, so I am having a hard time deciding! Help me out! If there is no reason to go with one over the other then I will resort to the coin flip

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    They're both urethane bushings, so do you like black or blue? That's really the only difference.

FWIW, I have Kartboy bushings in the front, and the Cobb rear bushing. Both brands look and feel identical aside from color.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

As Isaac says...they really are the same thing, only different color.

Which company would you rather give money to? Either way, you'll gain a noticeable difference in shifting feel.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    They're both urethane bushings, so do you like black or blue? That's really the only difference.

FWIW, I have Kartboy bushings in the front, and the Cobb rear bushing. Both brands look and feel identical aside from color.
    Haha...that is what I figured! I'll search around and see which one I can get cheaper and use that as my decision maker!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    As Isaac says...they really are the same thing, only different color.

Which company would you rather give money to? Either way, you'll gain a noticeable difference in shifting feel.
    Kartboy offers them as a package together so I am thinking that will be the most cost effective Plus the sticker is cool lol

Yeah I went with Kartboy when I did my short shifter.

Thank you TiC!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Go on the Turn-in Concepts page and order the complete shifter package from them, which includes a lever and all four shifter bushings you'll want to replace.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+1 for Turn-in Concepts.

I got the Kartboys to support the smaller business. I wish i got the whole package from Turn-in Concepts. I will be going back and getting the other bushings to add. Would have been easier to do them all at once.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    +1 for Turn-in Concepts.

I got the Kartboys to support the smaller business. I wish i got the whole package from Turn-in Concepts. I will be going back and getting the other bushings to add. Would have been easier to do them all at once.
    What bushings did you end up getting...Just front and rear shifter bushings? I just ordered those (TiC - thanks guys) I got a good deal by getting them together. And it looks like they didn't charge shipping.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    What bushings did you end up getting...Just front and rear shifter bushings? I just ordered those (TiC - thanks guys) I got a good deal by getting them together. And it looks like they didn't charge shipping.
    You didn't get the entire bundle with all four bushings? If not, call them back and amend you order.

I've never been charged for shipping from them. The price you see includes it, and they sometimes include a toy to go with your parts...

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You didn't get the entire bundle with all four bushings? If not, call them back and amend you order.

I've never been charged for shipping from them. The price you see includes it, and they sometimes include a toy to go with your parts...
    It comes with the front and rear bushings...are you talking about the shift link bushings?

I went with both the front and rear shifter stay bushings. Improved feel but still a fair amount of lateral play. The interwebz say the additional linkage bushings from TIC are supposed to help eliminate that. The nice part about only doing the front are rear stay bushings was not needing to take out the whole shifter mechanism.

Also, I would recommend a swivel socket and many extensions (I think I used 2x 10 or 11" extensions) to remove the bolts on the rear shifter stay bushing. The process might be a little different when you take out the shifter mechanism, but just thought I would share. Some Youtube videos say to unbolt the trans or something like that but I was able to unclip the O2 sensor, sneak the heat shield out, then reach the rear stay bushing bolts with the help of extensions and the swivel socket. It was much easier than the videos made it sound. A great DIY project. Have fun!
    Last edited by mfigge2; 05-01-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo :(
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi
    It comes with the front and rear bushings...are you talking about the shift link bushings?
    And pivot bushings

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Changed the order to include all four...thanks for watching my back!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    I went with both the front and rear shifter stay bushings. Improved feel but still a fair amount of lateral play. The interwebz say the additional linkage bushings from TIC are supposed to help eliminate that. The nice part about only doing the front are rear stay bushings was not needing to take out the whole shifter mechanism.

Also, I would recommend a swivel socket and many extensions (I think I used 2x 10 or 11" extensions) to remove the bolts on the rear shifter stay bushing. The process might be a little different when you take out the shifter mechanism, but just thought I would share. Some Youtube videos say to unbolt the trans or something like that but I was able to unclip the O2 sensor, sneak the heat shield out, then reach the rear stay bushing bolts with the help of extensions and the swivel socket. It was much easier than the videos made it sound. A great DIY project. Have fun!
    I've got a buddy who is a car mechanic and has a full garage with a lift and all the tools you could imagine. He helps me out with this stuff. Good friend to have! Thanks for the tips though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast