2013 WRX: Cobb short shifter + Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX: Cobb short shifter + Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2013 WRX. I installed my Cobb short shifter last week. Very smooth and simple install, just make sure you have ...

2013 WRX: Cobb short shifter + Kartboy front/rear shifter bushings.

2013 WRX. I installed my Cobb short shifter last week. Very smooth and simple install, just make sure you have snap ring pliers. Other than that couldn't be happier. Installing this definitely tightened up my shifts. I'm not sure if that's how it was supposed to happen since I assumed your shifts tightened up only after doing the front/rear bushings. I guess not, and just installing the short shifter shortened the throw (as you would expect) but also made shifts a little more precise I would say. It did seem like shifting required slightly more "force" which is what I mean by the shifts tightened up. Not a bad thing, not like it makes shifting hard or anything, just tighter and shorter.

My front/rear Kartboy shifter bushings arrived today. I was excited and jumped right into installing. Definitely a little challenging having never done anything like this and only going off of the research I did with respect to installing videos and guides, but it can be done. The rear shifter bushing was by far the most challenging thing I've done yet on this car. I almost gave up and put the crappy OEM shifter bushing back on because I could not get both bolts threaded at the same time. It seems the holes on the bushing don't like up perfectly with the threads on the body of the car. I knew this ahead of time since so many people mentioned it in reviews of the product but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and went for it anyway. A couple hours later after literally wrestling with it from all possible angles, I got the second bolt to catch onto something. It seemed to screw in a little snug at first but wasn't too difficult and didn't get any harder to tighten so I'm hoping I didn't cross-thread the bolt. But it doesn't matter because I don't think I plan on ever changing that out again it was such a pain to do in the first place. I guess the manufacturer hasn't really taken customer feedback into account when continuing the production of it's rear shifter bushings; it just seems like this could easily be avoided by making the holes spaced apart further by like a millimeter. But I digress.

Only thing is, to my dismay, I didn't really notice much change in my shifts from installing the front/rear bushings in addition to the short shifter. There is maybe a slightly more pronounced gear "whine" in 1st and 2nd gear, which others have also mentioned. It is not really that much more noticeable from stock. I guess I was expecting even tighter and more precise shifts, but nothing really jumped out at me. If anything I guess I just upgraded to more quality bushings that will probably last much longer than the stock ones would have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I suggest the Group N transmission mount, torque solutions pitch stopping mount, and some stiffer transmission cross member bushings. Everything really comes together then...and also your transmission will really "whine" then

I'll have to add those to my list and do some research on them. I'm not in a big rush and wasn't planning on going too crazy with mods for my car, just some tasteful mods and things that further my enjoyment of the car.

I'm just a little disappointed with the bushings. I really thought there would be a more noticeable difference in the feel of my shifts, but it seems most of the change was achieved by just installing the short shifter. There was hardly any difference, if any, after installing the bushings. But oh well, in comparison to the quality of the OEM bushings, its definitely an improvement in that aspect.

Group N transmission mount makes a HUGE difference.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Group N transmission mount makes a HUGE difference.
    Could you possibly elaborate? What changes would one expect to see? I just don't want to spend money on something that doesn't really end up making any noticeable difference like these bushings turned out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    Could you possibly elaborate? What changes would one expect to see? I just don't want to spend money on something that doesn't really end up making any noticeable difference like these bushings turned out to be.
    Everything is much firmer. On and Off throttle response is much better. That jerkiness you get when you let off the throttle gets eliminated (I also have a KB Pitchstop, but installed the group n mount after I had that on the car for a while). Stock mount you can literally flex in half. Group N is solid.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Everything is much firmer. On and Off throttle response is much better. That jerkiness you get when you let off the throttle gets eliminated (I also have a KB Pitchstop, but installed the group n mount after I had that on the car for a while). Stock mount you can literally flex in half. Group N is solid.
    Some people say to replace crossmember bushings and some other stuff "while you're there" since the other components will start to wear faster? Could you do just the Group N, or will you soon have to worry about other things wearing out too fast?

How much nvh is there with the mount?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    How much nvh is there with the mount?
    You will notice it but in time you will get used to it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by commbubba19 View Post
    You will notice it but in time you will get used to it.
    His car is pretty quiet. So he should notice it more than most people.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    His car is pretty quiet. So he should notice it more than most people.
    whiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

"What was that!? Did Will just drive by!?"
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.