Best way to accelerate from a stand-still without launching?

This is a discussion on Best way to accelerate from a stand-still without launching? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a bone-stock 2012 WRX with 24,100 miles on it. It's my first turbo and first manual. I baby ...

Best way to accelerate from a stand-still without launching?

I have a bone-stock 2012 WRX with 24,100 miles on it. It's my first turbo and first manual. I baby it, maybe too much. Rarely shift at anything over 3k RPMs. And I've never once launched the car.

That being said, sometimes I want to see what the car is capable of in a straight line from a standstill. What is the fastest way to. accelerate from this point without launching? Revving to high RPMs and slowly letting off the clutch? I've read many many threads on here about the horrors of clutch replacement. I just want to drive the car properly and enjoy it at the same time.

Thanks for your help in advance. - JA
    Last edited by JerseyAmbush; 04-28-2013 at 06:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Just drive it and ease into a more aggressive approach to acceleration/shifting. You might want to start by shifting at higher revs. You can't hurt these cars by driving them hard, just stay away from launching hard unless or until you feel more comfortable.

Less worry and more driving is the prescription for what ails you.
    '12 WRX Limited, 5-door -- Black

Best way? Through a school zone just kidding

I find that hold the car steady by balancing the clutch/accelerator at like 2-3k rpm and when you want to go, just hop of the clutch and floor it. Its not dropping the clutch hard from 5k rpms so you wont launch, but I get off the line quickly.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

at your avatar pic^^^

you can pull out from a stop normal and then when clutch grabs mash down n the gas or just rev a little higher than normal, like 3k rpm and slip the clutch a little
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Sweet! Thanks fellas

I Support ClubWRX
    If I'm in a hurry, I give a little more gas (~2.5k RPM) and slip the clutch out fairly rapidly while steping more on the gas at the same time. By the time it is all the way out the car is floored. You will still bog a little unless it is a bit down hill or somthing, but the initial lurch puts you past most of that. It is really easy to get it wrong but if you do it right it is pretty smooth overall.

Quote Originally Posted by spirited09wrx View Post
    Best way? Through a school zone just kidding

I find that hold the car steady by balancing the clutch/accelerator at like 2-3k rpm and when you want to go, just hop of the clutch and floor it. Its not dropping the clutch hard from 5k rpms so you wont launch, but I get off the line quickly.
    That holding the car steady part is hard on clutch material for no purpose.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    at your avatar pic^^^

you can pull out from a stop normal and then when clutch grabs mash down n the gas or just rev a little higher than normal, like 3k rpm and slip the clutch a little
    Your shift from 1st to 2nd should be done with a some clutch slip. I have seen posts and YouTube videos of transmissions where the 1st to 2nd shift were just clutch drops and the transmission gets trashed for those gears and prevents it from shifting properly after doing these hard launches. Slipping the clutch will allow the transmission to better engage properly and saving you some major tranny work later on. Clutches are cheaper to replace than a having a transmission rebuilt.

Good feedback all around. Delnari, I hear what you're saying about the hard shifts. Though it seems like slipping the clutch at high RPMs wouldn't be good either, just not as bad. I guess it's like modding... you have to expect to pay to play

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That holding the car steady part is hard on clutch material for no purpose.
    Makes sense, I only do that waiting for the red to turn green (a couple seconds) and don't race off the line every time
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"